Thread: 177 Reliability

Default 177 Reliability

I can't seem to get any answer on how reliable the 177 series of supercharger is? Does anyone have one they run regularly?

My Email: I'm looking to find out about the longevity and dependability of the 177 superchargers. I have run a few different types in the past, both cog and V-belt, but never a serpentine style belt. Are they more dependable? Do they blow belts? I want to DRIVE this car, take it to the drags a couple times a year. Take it to some shows, take it on poker runs, and once in a while, drive it to Maine from Iowa to see family and friends. I'm going to retain the A/C and power steering. It is not a daily driver, but once in a while it will be driven daily. Will these blowers put up with that type of use? Thanks! Scott

The reply I got: Hi Scott, with Proper care our blowers will be very dependable. the reason for the serpentine is so in the event of over boost, backfire, ETC. the belt can be allowed to slip and effectively unload blower components.

Okay, I understand there is no blow off plate so the belt makes sense, but the primary question remained unanswered, and the secondary question remained unanswered:
    1. Will the blower put up with that type of use? What is the proper care? How many miles can I expect it to handle before I need to return it for service/repair, etc? ELABORATE please?
    2. Do they blow belts?

Cogs tend to blow occasionally. The V-belts were quite dependable. If the serpentine belts are designed to slip, does that make them less reliable? Am I going to be standing on the side of the interstate putting a new belt on?

I got no reply, no elaboration, so I'm thinking that Holley/Weiand isn't interested in selling me a blower. On the off chance I buy one anyhow, I'm more concerned about their service. If I need help, will I be ignored?

What are YOUR experiences? Should I run away to someone else? I LIKE the style, the size, everything about the 177, but don't like how well I'm getting treated at this point. Thanks!

I don't have any experience with this blower, but I've been going to car shows in my area for years, and have seen the same guys showing up with this type of blower on the same car for five plus years. I also see him on the street driving, so it's not a trailer queen. That's all the help I can be.

Thanks for the response. NO ONE wants to tell me if these little blowers are capable of what I want to use them for. I love those things, but I think I'm going to have to pass and go with a Paxton or turbo system until someone from the company is willing to answer my questions. I have gotten no reply from them, and no one else seems to want to answer either, so I HAVE to walk away from them. It's pretty sad the state of affairs today's big business is in. Apparently, they don't need to answer or help people to make their millions.

Next post get deleted? It was a short rant about how NO ONE will answer me, or even TRY to answer ANY of the emails I have sent, and it is gone. Strike three. This is NOT the company you want to deal with folks!

Profanity isn't allowed on this forum.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Profanity? I didn't use profanity. Never do, not even in real life.

Yes, there was a profane word in that post.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires