Thread: Choke not getting voltage.

Default Choke not getting voltage.

Hello forum. I just bought a '65 Mercury Cyclone with a Blueprint Engines 306 in it (120 miles). It has a 4160 vacuum secondary carb on it. According to Ford's literature, I should be able to run the choke off the STA terminal of the alternator. The problem is I can't detect any voltage coming from this terminal using my voltmeter. I pulled it off the car and took it to an alternator shop. They tested it and said there is 12V on this terminal. I bypassed the alternator and run a wire directly from the battery. This choke works correctly. The alternator shop ran the alternator at a high speed where I'm testing at idle speed. Can anyone provide advice on how to correct this? Thanks, Bill.

I think I'll change the subject to how the choke is supposed to operate.

From what I have read, the choke is supposed to be wired so it only has 12v power when the engine runs. This seems to make sense in some ways and doesn't make sense as it relates to the engine cool down process. The engine cool down cycle is much longer than the warm up cycle. If the choke doesn't have 12v power as the engine cools down (not running), how will the choke return to the closed position for the next cold start?

It can't and mine doesn't close now that I connected the choke with a fuse and switch from the battery. The next cold start begins with the choke fully open.

I would appreciate any commentary the group or Holley staff might have. Thanks
    Last edited by 65clyclone; 05-13-2018 at 11:59 PM.