Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Progressive Linkage makes Sniper EFI WAAAY Better

Default Progressive Linkage makes Sniper EFI WAAAY Better

The fact that Holley released new firmware for the Sniper EFI System recently slipped past most existing owners. And while I am not one to recommend upgrading firmware just because it is there, the new firmware supports a feature that I think is really a huge benefit to many (most?) Sniper EFI User: Progressive Linkage.

As you know, the Sniper throttle body linkage opens all four barrels evenly when you depress the throttle. But for most installations that means that the engine goes from idle to a whole bunch of air in a hurry. Compound that with a rather stiff return spring and a rather short primary link and on a powerful engine you're struggling to start without barking the tires. And with a manual transmission and a performance clutch? Forget it.

But for just over $10 and two simple configuration changes you can switch to a progressive linkage that opens only the two primary barrels at first and then brings in the secondary barrels at a later point. The change in streetability is nothing short of mind-blowing. By opening only the primaries it reduces the felt weight of the pedal by eliminating the tension of the secondaries. This gives much better pedal touch at throttle tip-in. And, of course, with only two primary barrels coming in it means you have far more control over how much power is applied per degree of pedal application.

OK, to start, if I completely caught you off guard in the first paragraph by mentioning the firmware upgrades, don't sweat it. I wrote a detailed post about Sniper EFI Firmware on the EFI Pro Hangout portion of our website. This goes into great (too much?) detail on the versions, how-to's, etc of the Sniper EFI firmware. If you prefer a shorter version, I included the excellent video that Holley's Jeremy Stoermer did at the bottom of the article--just jump to that.

We offer two different linkage kits for the Sniper EFI throttle body. The basic fixed link is really all most users need. It will open the secondaries at roughly 40%. But if you over-obsess with things like I do, then you might prefer the adjustable linkage that will allow you to fine tune the tip-in point of the secondaries. At the link above are instructions you can download in advance to see exactly what is involved in both the link installation and the configuration.

I am confident this information is going to make some folks happy. I know that everyone I've done this for has been just thrilled!
    Last edited by cmyer; 05-12-2018 at 02:13 PM.
    Chris Myer
    800-880-0960 x654
    chris@EFISystemPro.com

Check our www.EFISystemPro.com website for live stock status on
    all Holley items, including the full line of Holley HyperSpark Distributors!

I believe I already posses the linkage parts. The fixed one is, I believe, identical to the 40% linkage that come with most Quick Fuel carburetors and the adjustable one is a Holley part. Thanks for the tip!

I had a lot of time invested in lengthening the linkage arm on the Sniper to get it closer to my tried & true Holley carb setup. It was still to touchy thanks to the shaft springs even without a safety return spring, so I'm looking forward to this modification. Adjustable linkage ordered thanks for the free shipping! Chris just heads up on your link to your site; you need to rename the first PDF to fixed linkage. You have both named adjustable.
    Last edited by Zmann; 05-13-2018 at 12:18 PM.

I just finished the upgrade using the 40% link from the Quick Fuel carburetor I removed when I installed the Sniper; it took all of 10 minutes to complete. The secondaries begin to open at 47% TPS position as noted on the handheld. I won't be able to do a test drive until Monday or Tuesday of next week but, the throttle pedal operation is much smoother now.

If your issue is a touchy throttle, order the extension kit from Chris. Makes a night & day difference: https://www.efisystempro.com/sniper/...ter-lever-1952

Thanks, I did not know that existed for the Sniper, my extension is built just like that (sacrificed a carb linkage). It was much better, but the pressure of both primary & secondary shaft springs can sure be felt at tip-in. So I hope this separation of the two shafts turning at the same time will make a big difference. Also, and the combination of the two modifications will put this back to my old carb pedal feel.

As I'm stateside right now, I took advantage of the free shipping and ordered straightaway.

I always jump on this stuff as it seems to go to back order status, as soon as it is announced, LOL. Maybe since these fit more than one application, they'll be readily available for the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
    Adjustable linkage ordered thanks for the free shipping! Chris just heads up on your link to your site; you need to rename the first PDF to fixed linkage. You have both named adjustable.
    Fixed. Thanks for the heads-up! :-)
    Chris Myer
    800-880-0960 x654
    chris@EFISystemPro.com

Check our www.EFISystemPro.com website for live stock status on
    all Holley items, including the full line of Holley HyperSpark Distributors!

First drive today with the fixed linkage modification and I'm very pleased. Throttle input is much more linear, pedal effort is reduced dramatically and easier to modulate. Using the Quick Fuel 40% link actually brings the secondaries in at 47% TPS and I'd like them to activate at around 30%. So I'll be installing the Holley adjustable link that I already have and make the necessary adjustments. Very nice and useful modification.

Fooled around a bit with the Holley adjustable link and couldn't get below 35%. I then shortened the fixed link (bent) and achieved the same results and it is easier to install. I'm calling it good.
    Last edited by bingo2; 05-15-2018 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Added to post.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast