Thread: New Install, Trying to Figure Things Out

Default New Install, Trying to Figure Things Out

Hey guys. I just got my car back from the shop after having a bunch of stuff done, including installing the Terminator EFI system. The car runs better than when I had the carb on it, but still has a way to go.
    With the EFI, I had an MSD 6A Digital ignition control, HVC-2 coil, and Holley dual sync distributor. This is in a mild Ford 302 crate motor.

First thing - I'm getting a message when loading the Global File into the V4 software that my crank sensor Inductive Delay value is over 50. What do I need to do to make sure that my timing was setup properly?

Second - When coming to a stop light, the engine runs pretty rich then leans out and almost dies, but catches itself. Anything I should check with this?

Third - When plugging in, the ECU says I need to upgrade the firmware. I'm guessing I can do that and just load in the Global File to make sure it still runs after the firmware update?

Fourth - Anything else I should be checking/doing to get this thing running as well and efficient as possible? I could upload my Global File if that would help at all.

Here is a start:
    “First Thing” – I don’t know. Someone else will help you with that.

"Second Thing" - Check the Idle Air Control (IAC) when the engine is warmed up and idling. It should be between 0% and 5%. If it is over that, turn the idle screw on the throttle body to open up the throttle blades. As you do that, the IAC value will decrease. Once it is where you want it, turn off the engine and then turn the ignition on BUT DON'T start the engine. Use your Touchscreen under Tuning and do a "Start TPS Autoset". Once completed, restart the engine and make sure the IAC is the same.

"Third Thing" - You can download the EFI software/ECU firmware upgrade from the Holley Support area. Read the PDF files. Good Info. The software will go into your computer. The firmware goes onto your ECU. Once they are loaded, shut down the ECU and remove ALL power from it for at least a 1 hour. (I left mine disconnected overnight.) I found removing the power for an extended time clears “things” in the ECU. But your “old tune” settings should still be there and it should start up fine.

“Fourth Thing” - Drive it in the Fast Learn mode for at least two weeks in various situations. But realize you need to turn Learn OFF eventually. If you leave it ON and one of the sensors goes bad, you run the risk of scrambling the tune. It happened to me. After I replaced the sensor, it took a long time to re-Learn. Or you can reload a baseline Global File and restart the learning process from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by creekaddict View Post
    First thing - I'm getting a message when loading the Global File into the V4 software that my crank sensor Inductive Delay value is over 50. What do I need to do to make sure that my timing was setup properly?
    FYI: "Your Crank Sensor "Inductive Delay" value is greater than 50. This typically will result in over
    advanced ignition timing at high RPM with a Hall-Effect sensor. Make sure this value is correct."

That's actually not what this warning message means.
    It means if left unsynchronized, the timing can advance beyond what the Timing Table specifies.
    That's just a warning message to ensure you synchronize the timing at higher RPM (Inductive Delay).
    After synchronizing the timing, ignore that warning message and never adjust the Inductive Delay again.
    With the Holley V3 EFI software, you have the option to disable this warning message in Toolbox, Preferences.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks guys. For the IAC Position, since I have an automatic, I'm assuming it should be around 2% in neutral at hot idle? Once in gear with foot on brake, 15 to 20% is normal?

Read step #3: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read Steps #1-#6!)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.