Thread: Clogged 10 micron filter.

Default Clogged 10 micron filter.

I noticed the fuel pressure suddenly fluctuate. I barely limped the car home and replaced the 162-558 10 micron filter in the billet 162-558 housing. The filter was slightly off white, but nothing obvious. I also removed the foam and cleaned out the Jaz plastic fuel tank, and cleaned the 162-564 100 micron pre pump filter. The pump is an inline Walbro 392.
    The new 10 micron filter clogged up again after running a few more tanks of gas through it. I'm suspicious of the old SS braided -8 hose breaking down although it's not showing any rubber particles in the filter. Or it may be the premium fuel at my local gas station is dirty. These little 10 micron paper cartridge filters seem to clog up easily. Any thoughts?
    '66 Beaumont Sport Deluxe - LS2, Terminator, Performer RPM, 227°/231°/110° LSA, long tubes, Extreme Automatics Stage 3 2004R, Edge 3500 stall, Transbrake, 3.50 rear, 100HP dry shot

It turned out to be a failing inline Walbro pump. I'm used to seeing pumps quitting completely, not gradually. This one started fluctuating pressure after it warmed up. It ran dry for a few seconds a while ago, so that most likely contributed to accelerated pump wear. The new pump holds 43 PSI solid, but dips to 42 for a split second when under quick AE. I'll have a closer look at the rest of the plumbing/pressure regulator.
    '66 Beaumont Sport Deluxe - LS2, Terminator, Performer RPM, 227°/231°/110° LSA, long tubes, Extreme Automatics Stage 3 2004R, Edge 3500 stall, Transbrake, 3.50 rear, 100HP dry shot

Are you running a heavy gauge wire to the pump? Voltage loss will burn the pump out.

That's a good idea. It's short 12 gauge wire close to the relay & battery. I'll upsize the wiring to 10 or 8 AWG.