Thread: 1979 Trans Am, now using Holley 0-80555 carburetor.

Default 1979 Trans Am, now using Holley 0-80555 carburetor.

I had a small shop perform some work for me on my '79 Trans AM and they talked me into replacing my Rochester QuadraJet with the 80555 spread-bore carb.

'79, 403, mostly stock, mondelo rocker arms and push rods.

I have several issues:
    1.) They said it was the same size as the QuadraJet but even with a thin gasket it pushes my hood up, since the gasket on the blower scoop. Is it the same height?
    2.) Most important: I have a real bad issue with hard to start when the engine is hot. The engine runs well at 180-190°F. But when I park and let it sit, it's hard to start. I have to pump or hold down the gas pedal and there is a strong smell of gas of course.
    3.) When I checked the air filter it reeks of gas.
    4.) Checking the canister configuration, I'm not sure if the purge is correct? Is it not using the canister. I thought the shop might have done something with it, so I'm trying a vented gas cap. But I can't tell yet as I can't drive it (bad weather).
    5.) With the original gad cap (not vented) the garage smells of gas just sitting.
    I also had added a fuel pump since I was getting vapor lock issues.

Any help would be appreciated. Pics attached.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mechpump1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	3038 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carb1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	3039 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuelfilter1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	3040 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canister1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	3041
    Last edited by chrislynn5; 04-15-2018 at 02:18 PM.

Sounds like you're missing a vent valve from/to the canister. You might be able to elongate the holes in the motor mounts to lower the engine a small bit.