Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ram Jet 350 Holley HP Questions

Default Ram Jet 350 Holley HP Questions

Hello. I'm currently doing a swap that will install a ZZ5 crate SBC, which I've had with TPI into another F-body while adding a Ram Jet 350 intake. It will be mated to a T56. I'll be using new Holley 36 lb/hr injectors.
    I was looking at a Holley 550-601 kit, which seems from the pic very complete, but I can't find a true detailed description on what's included. I.E. Assume it includes power harness, what about I/O harness for fans?
    I assume since this is the TPI Kit. I may need to change some connectors for IAC & TPS?

While this is my first Holley ECU I have done a lot of work with GM OBD1 programming and Gen IV E38, etc., type swaps with LS3, etc.
    I've looked at the Holley EFI software and seems very nice, but I'm sure I'll have some questions.
    On fuel regulator, I assume it needs to be engine vacuum referenced? Does fuel pressure sensor if used have the ECU use the true pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by alan91z28 View Post
    On fuel regulator, I assume it needs to be engine vacuum referenced? Does fuel pressure sensor if used have the ECU use the true pressure?
    I do not use a vacuum referenced regulator. My regulator is in my fuel basket in the fuel tank. I do not have any issues running it this way. The ECU only monitors the fuel pressure it does not use it for tuning.

I.E. Assume it includes power harness, what about I/O harness for fans?
    Main ECU power harness, yes. I/O Auxiliary harness, no.

I assume since this is the TPI Kit.
    Yes.

I may need to change some connectors for IAC & TPS?
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/534-213 (Holley EFI Connector Kit)

On fuel regulator, I assume it needs to be engine vacuum referenced?
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...ith-Terminator (Related Forum Thread)

Does fuel pressure sensor if used have the ECU use the true pressure?
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read Step #2)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks for your quick responses. I've been reading around in the Holley forums for a while trying to make up my mind on going with this ECU. As in the past I've stayed with working with GM original. The help on the forum is a big reason that I'm really thinking about giving this a go for this swap. Also for the base calibration to start with, I assumed the base configuration I should start with would be MPI36SB215HE. Set for Holley 36 lb/hr injectors, and stock type camshafts (up to 215° duration at .050” lift). Ignition type set to GM Small Cap HEI.
    The ZZ5 SBC engine that I'm mating to the Ram Jet 350 intake is:
    Camshaft Type (P/N 10185071): Hydraulic Roller
    Camshaft Lift (in): .474" Intake/.510" Exhaust
    Camshaft Duration (@ .050"): 208° Intake/221° Exhaust
    Cylinder Heads (P/N 19300955): Fast Burn Aluminum; 62cc Chambers
    Valve Size (in): 2.000" Intake/1.550" Exhaust
    Compression Ratio: 9.72:1 Nominal

It will have the standard GM small cap TPI type distributor with individual GM coil (new GM distributor and coil that comes with the Ram Jet intake kit). If this is the case for the base configuration to start with, any thoughts on things I should consider, changing in base calibrations, etc., before startup? (I've looked at the Quick Start Guide and looks to imply should be able to pretty much startup with this and let it Learn.)

...any thoughts on things I should consider, changing in base calibrations, etc., before startup? (I've looked at the Quick Start Guide and looks to imply should be able to pretty much startup with this and let it Learn.)
    There's a lot of practical information here: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read Steps #1-#6!)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Alan, from one third genner to another, good luck with your build! I think you'll be happy with the Holley EFI system. My actual engine was a little hotter than what you've got listed in the ZZ5, and the base calibration I used was more than adequate to get it up & running, and to allow for some self-tuning/Learning. The Holley ECU should have NO problem with your setup.

Great news, I started up my '88 Camaro today with the RAMJET 350 on ZZ5 Vortec type SBC with Holley EFI HP, and I have to say it was the best startup ever in any of my swaps, which have included several LS with E38/E67 ECU types and many SBC TPI 165, 730, EBL types.

Time will tell, but I'm really liking how nice and flexible the Holley system is. I did my own wiring harness with the Holley universal wiring kit and everything seems to have really turned out great with a minimal custom fit harness and system that seems to work great.

I started with one of Holley's included MPI tunes and made the minimal changes required (sensors, injector type, IAC type, etc.).

I followed Danny's recommended startup checks prior to fire up:
    - Fuel Pressure good at 43 psi.
    - Timing check at crank (injectors unplugged) at my setting of 15° (note I needed to use a basic timing light as my nice one fooled me at first as no light on crank but it doesn't start flashing until after 250 RPM). Also this allowed good oil pressure verification, tach signal working, etc.

Fired up then for first time this morning. Ran pretty decent, although I would get some start and stalls until WB warmed up and it went into Closed Loop mode.

Did some Learning then took it for a drive to get some gas, etc. Ran decent other than couple stalls on clutch in.

I then adjusted the Cranking Fuel down by about 10%, seemed to help the starts some, but still stalling. So per Danny's advice posted elsewhere observed IAC at hot idle was about 35-40%. Adjusted set screw to ~5%, now starts great, idles great, no clutch stalls on several long drives this afternoon.

How I set IAC was I observed with Camaro running what the IAC was, shut it off gave the set screw on the throttle body a couple turns, turned ignition on, did TPS auto set, started, observed IAC at hot idle, repeated a couple times until I had it dialed in.

I have to say that so far the Holley is quite impressive, I never have had such a quick initial dial in that is now basically driveable with so little effort, looking forward to really using this.

What a great resource this forum is, especially Danny to get up to speed!

What a great resource this forum is, especially Danny to get up to speed!
    That's a good update. You're welcome, and thanks for the compliment.

Also just as reference and potentially help to others, here's my build thread on Thirdgen.org. I documented a lot of my harness build on how I did it with the universal harness that might give others some ideas: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engi...ort-coupe.html

Also I'm interested in understanding the option on connecting to the PC using the CAN Bus as I'm running V5 110.

I understand I need 558-443 cable, but the CAN end of that connector doesn't look like it is the mate for the CAN 2 position connector that my harness has. I assume I also need this adapter, 558-430?

Also, I find occasionally that it is hard to connect with the USB connection, sometimes have to reboot computer, etc., to get reliable connection to ECU through the direct USB port. Is this a more stable connection?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast