Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New MSD Ignition With Holley Sniper EFI

Default New MSD Ignition With Holley Sniper EFI

Hey guys! I bought a Holley Sniper EFI not long ago and had it up & running with my old HEI distributor. I wanted the ability to control timing with the Holley as well as set the rev limiter. I found a good deal ($225 shipped) for a new MSD 6T, new MSD magnetic distributor, and new high vibration MSD coil. I purchased an adjustable rotor and got it all installed after I locked out the mechanical advance. I set the rotor and started it.

After I started it, it idled and I hooked my timing light up. As I was walking to the cab to set the static timing to 15° it died on me. I tried starting it several times and it didn't want to start and stay running. It would run for about a second then stop. This had previously did this when my terminal wasn't on all the way on my HEI distributor for the tach wire. I decided I'd watch my tach on the small Holley touchscreen, and I noticed as it was cranking my RPM would show around 200 to 300 RPM, then it would jump up to like 12K for some reason. I'm not sure why it idled for a good 30 seconds at first then died.

I had to leave on a 5 hour trip, so I didn't get to mess with it anymore. I'll be home tomorrow and I would like to get it running again. I've been excited for it to control timing and be able to set my rev limit. Any ideas on where to start? I've got the white wire in a wire loom coming from the 6T all the way to the Holley wiring harness. It's separate from the other wires. Really not sure where to start at? Any ideas?

Have you read or searched this Sniper EFI forum? Most Sniper EFI users state the adjustable rotor doesn't work with ECU timing control.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

As Danny stated, results with the MSD have been mixed to say the best. Make sure to use the Sniper EFI software to set the Minimum Signal Voltage to something like .5 volts. Also, triple check rotor phasing & reference angle: http://www.chevelles.com/forums/89-e...nce-angle.html

But as I said, many guys on here struggle to get a clean timing signal out of the MSD distributor. Me & some guys at Chevelles.com had success using the HEI distributor. As you have that anyways, try if you can get it to work as well: http://www.chevelles.com/forums/89-e...cost-dist.html

Interesting. I have a large cap HEI. I'm driving right now, but it said a small cap. I did all kinds of asking around and I was told an HEI would not work on timing control, so that's why I bought all of this. I can sell the distributor I bought, that's no big deal if I can't get it to work.

I will try adjusting the voltage when I get home in about five hours, and see what happens. Maybe that's why my RPM was jumping around so much. You guys gave me some good reading material that I can read when I get home as well. Thanks for the responses guys!

So I believe that I've got something wired wrong. After looking at the wiring diagrams, I'm honestly pretty confused. One diagram shows one thing, and another one shows another thing.

So I had it hooked up, the purple & green distributor connector hooked up to the distributor. I had the MSD ignition box wired constant hot to battery, ground to the chassis, keyed power, white points wire to the 10-pin connector on the EFI. The Quick Start Manual that said it was wrong and I needed to use the single purple wire connector to the RPM out on the MSD box, then the two prong plug out of the MSD box to the distributor. So I hooked it up that way, and it still isn't wanting to stay running. Can anyone confirm my new wiring setup? Is that how it's supposed to be? I feel like this is user installation error as far as the ignition setup goes.

Quote Originally Posted by matholland618 View Post
    I have a large cap HEI. I'm driving right now, but it said a small cap.
    What? Do you have a GM large cap HEI distributor or not? This is not an ECU timing control application, with an MSD CD ignition box, right?
    http://documents.holley.com/199r11031r.pdf (Holley Sniper EFI Instruction Manual - "Option 2 Wiring Tach Out", Page 14)
    http://documents.holley.com/199r11193.pdf (Holley Sniper EFI Quick Start Manual - "Ignition Option 2", Page 6)

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I meant in the article you linked me to, was talking about using a GM small cap HEI and I have a GM large cap that I originally used. So I would have to buy a GM small cap HEI if I wanted to do what was suggested as in getting it working with an HEI with timing control.

I have an MSD 85551 distributor with an adjustable rotor that I'm attempting to do. Come to find out, it isn't "magnetic pickup" in the settings that I need to utilize, it is CD Box, dumb mistake. Needless to say I got it up & running, sort of. The computer is not controlling the timing. When I hit set on static timing on the handheld for 15° and set it, then clear it. I can try 20° and it's still at 15°. Also, the rev limiter is not working. I'm pretty confident I have everything wired up correctly now.

I have the purple & white plug coming from the EFI into the single purple wire with the plug at the end that goes to the tach output on my MSD 6T. I then have the magnetic pickup ran from the distributor to the MSD 6T. I have the power/ground to the MSD box, and the power/ground out to the coil.

What I was saying is this: This is what is confusing in the diagram for the EFI setup. In the Quick Start manual it states this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quickstart.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	2299

However, in the actual installation instructions, it's showing the purple & green plug from the EFI going to the distributor. It also says it in the text. That is what I'm so confused about. One manual shows one thing, and the other manual shows another thing. If I hook the distributor up to the plug for the Holley EFI, then it doesn't want to run?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	installation.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	2300
    Last edited by matholland618; 06-11-2017 at 02:57 PM.

I meant in the article you linked me to, was talking about using a GM small cap HEI and I have a GM large cap that I originally used. So I would have to buy a GM small cap HEI if I wanted to do what was suggested as in getting it working with an HEI with timing control.
    The manuals I linked in this thread never mention a GM small cap HEI.

What I was saying is this: This is what is confusing in the diagram for the EFI setup. In the Quick Start manual it states this:
    You're confusing the non-ECU timing control wiring diagrams with the ECU timing control wiring diagrams.

However, in the actual installation instructions, it's showing the purple & green plug from the EFI going to the distributor. It also says it in the text. That is what I'm so confused about. One manual shows one thing, and the other manual shows another thing.
    This is for ECU timing control, not your non-ECU timing control application.

Hi Matt. If you want to have the Sniper EFI control ignition timing (are good with a welder and are willing to go where Holley says that support ends), you can do as I do and lock the advance of the large cap HEI (spot weld the mechanical advance and use the vacuum lockout to phase the rotor), and connect the timing control wires of the Sniper EFI directly to the P/N wires of the large cap HEI (that means removing the HEI module).

Of course, this is very advanced stuff and definitely more of a thing for someone with experience in homebrew EFI, than for someone directly coming from a carb.

This is really confusing. Are you, or aren't you running timing control? You stated having the distributor plugged into the MSD box correct? This is not how to wire timing control. The distributor needs to plug into the Sniper EFI 2-pin connector. You don't use the two pin harness with one purple wire. Then the white wire from the MSD connected to the white on the Sniper. Without the distributor being controlled by the Sniper EFI, system the timing settings mean nothing. And once wired correctly, you need to set the ignition to Magnetic, not CDI box.

Gotcha. Currently how you just explained that, it needed to be setup is the way that it's wired. It will just act like it's way out of time, hard to start, etc. If I wire it up without timing control, it fires right up and purrs like a kitten. I don't understand as to why it's doing what it's doing.

UPDATE: So I have some of it figured out. I switched it to Magnetic, I ended up playing with the distributor and I got it running. I took it for a test ride after I verified 15° timing when I statically set it with the touchscreen, and WOW! It's a crazy amount of difference compared to the old setup! I couldn't believe that I blew off my 36" IROK tires on my Jeep with a locked rear end, when I smashed it around 2500 RPM in first on dry pavement!

On the flip side, it idled and did great at first, now it's wanting to start and I have to play with the throttle after it starts to keep it running. If I let off it dies. Like the IAC isn't keeping it at an idle. I've played with the ramp up on the adjustments with the touchscreen, but it isn't seeming to make a difference. Kind of weird how it did good at first, drove it down the road a few times, then it started acting up. I tried to go out & start it once it has cooled off a bit. Start, die, start, die, won't idle for anything now.
    Last edited by matholland618; 06-11-2017 at 08:56 PM.