Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Super Sniper Released!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Palm Bay, FL
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Holley finally released the 8-injector Super Sniper. It's available in Shiny now, presumably with black & gold coming in the future. This version has a 2.5 bar MAP sensor, which makes sense, since you are going to either need to boost or spray to take advantage of that 800 pounds per hour of fuel capacity with a 800 CFM throttle body.

    Holley seems to have the instruction manuals a little mixed up (the quick-start manual is displaying under the installation manual link and the quick start link isn't working at all), but I'm sure that will be fixed in the next few hours. I've got several folks who have really been waiting on this kit. :-D

    I should clarify. There is a 4 and an 8-injector version of the Super Sniper.
    EDIT: I just found the Super Sniper EFI Instruction Manual PDF.
    Last edited by cmyer; 03-07-2018 at 06:50 PM.
    Chris Myer
    800-880-0960 x654
    chris@EFISystemPro.com

    Check our website for live stock status on all Holley items!
    www.EFISystemPro.com

  2. #2

    Default

    It was over a year ago when I saw this "exclusive sneak-peak".
    This video also sneak-peaked the Sniper EFI software, but was blurred on purpose.

  3. #3

    Default

    I thought the Super Sniper was dual throttle bodies.

  4. #4

    Default

    What a bummer. Been waited patiently for the 1250 HP Super Sniper to be released, and now I see on the Holley website "E85 Not Recommended". Blow-Thru Carb is going to have to continue to do for now.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Palm Bay, FL
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djh61187 View Post
    What a bummer. Been waited patiently for the 1250 HP Super Sniper to be released, and now I see on the Holley website "E85 Not Recommended". Blow-Thru Carb is going to have to continue to do for now.
    I've never heard that same prohibition about the original Sniper. That warning is not on the 550-510, 550-511, or 550-516 product pages. (As far as I can see, maybe I overlooked it?)

    It is quite possible (probable?) that the regulator has changed in the Super Sniper, but it seems unlikely that they changed the injectors. And if you're going to run a blow-through turbo or supercharger, you will want to run an external regulator anyway. So are we to take from this that E-85 is not recommended in any of the Snipers?
    Chris Myer
    800-880-0960 x654
    chris@EFISystemPro.com

    Check our website for live stock status on all Holley items!
    www.EFISystemPro.com

  6. #6

    Default

    I've been using E85 for the past two years with my Sniper EFI, and have had no issues. I think they would say not to use E85 because ethanol is aerated and has approximately 30% more oxygen in the fuel than gasoline. This lowers the potential power output of a fuel system because it needs to flow 30% more fuel to maintain the same AFR. So using E85 with the Super Sniper would yield 875 HP of fuel flow instead of the full 1250 HP with gasoline.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyC10 View Post
    I've been using E85 for the past two years with my Sniper EFI, and have had no issues. I think they would say not to use E85 because ethanol is aerated and has approximately 30% more oxygen in the fuel than gasoline. This lowers the potential power output of a fuel system because it needs to flow 30% more fuel to maintain the same AFR. So using E85 with the Super Sniper would yield 875 HP of fuel flow instead of the full 1250 HP with gasoline.
    I already had planned on adding more fuel and expected the lower HP. Been using E85 since 2008 now. Got a pretty good handle on it. Car makes 721 RWHP, so 875 HP from the Sniper would be close. I could turn the boost down if I had to. Just wanted to try EFI for a while and eventually go to a Holley Dominator EFI system.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmyer View Post
    I've never heard that same prohibition about the original Sniper. That warning is not on the 550-510, 550-511, or 550-516 product pages. (As far as I can see, maybe I overlooked it?)

    It is quite possible (probable?) that the regulator has changed in the Super Sniper, but it seems unlikely that they changed the injectors. And if you're going to run a blow-through turbo or supercharger, you will want to run an external regulator anyway. So are we to take from this that E-85 is not recommended in any of the Snipers?
    Page 5 of the 550-511 instruction manual:
    “Engine Requirements
    Before moving forward with the installation, please verify your vehicle meets the engine and fuel system requirements below:
     Engine is in sound mechanical condition
     Engine horsepower is between 200-650
     Engine is a naturally aspirated (no supercharger, turbocharger, etc.) 4, 6 or 8 cylinder
     Engine has a 4 barrel, 4150 style flange intake manifold*
    Unleaded fuel only
     Any RTV silicone sealants used on the engine are sensor safe.”

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Palm Bay, FL
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bryaneh View Post
    Page 5 of the 550-511 instruction manual:
    “Engine Requirements
    Before moving forward with the installation, please verify your vehicle meets the engine and fuel system requirements below:
     Engine is in sound mechanical condition
     Engine horsepower is between 200-650
     Engine is a naturally aspirated (no supercharger, turbocharger, etc.) 4, 6 or 8 cylinder
     Engine has a 4 barrel, 4150 style flange intake manifold*
    Unleaded fuel only
     Any RTV silicone sealants used on the engine are sensor safe.”
    Thank you for pointing that out, bryaneh. Let me share the contents of that page as it appeared in the original version of the instruction manual 18 months ago (below.) I call attention to the first requirement (N/A V8 engine). The setup Wizard was already asking the number of cylinders (4, 6, or 8) and Holley's own video was already touting this as a solution for engines boosted to 1 Bar. And the latest version of the instruction manual still says no turbo/supercharger. I think we can give the same weight of consideration to the prohibition against E85.

    "Before moving forward with the installation, please verify your vehicle meets the engine and fuel system requirements below:
     Engine is a naturally aspirated (no supercharger, turbocharger, etc.) V8
     Engine horsepower is between 250 – 650
     Engine has a 4 BBL, 4150 style square flange or universal flanged spread-bore intake manifold*
     Unleaded fuel only
     Any RTV silicone sealants used on the engine are sensor safe"
    Chris Myer
    800-880-0960 x654
    chris@EFISystemPro.com

    Check our website for live stock status on all Holley items!
    www.EFISystemPro.com

  10. #10

    Default

    There's no reason why the Super Sniper shouldn't work well with E85 or mild boost. Holley doesn't need the headache it would take to support it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Holley has been the undisputed leader in fuel systems for over 100 years. Holley carburetors have powered every NASCAR® Sprint® Cup team and nearly every NHRA® Pro–Stock champion for four decades. Now, Holley EFI is dominating the performance world as well as our products for GM's LS engine. Holley's products also include performance fuel pumps, intake manifolds & engine dress–up products for street performance, race and marine applications. As a single solution, or partnered with products from other Holley companies - Hooker Headers, Flowtech Headers, NOS Nitrous, Weiand, Earl's Performance Plumbing, or Diablosport - Holley products can give you the edge you need over the competition.
Join us