Thread: Holley Choke Won’t Open

Default Holley Choke Won’t Open

I recently purchased a Holley 80457 for a 327. The choke won’t open no matter where I set it. I have to push down on the cam to get it to idle at it’s normal rate. However, when I give it some throttle, it shuts the throttle plate and the engine revs high. I once again have to manually push the cam to get it to slow idle. It runs great at slow idle. This also happens when the car is warmed up. Holley Tech wasn’t sure what the problem could be so I’m asking to see if anyone has any advice. Thank you, Chris

Is this an electric choke? Are you getting +12V to the electric choke pod?

Yes, it's an electric and I'm getting voltage.

Pull the choke apart and test it with a meter.

OK. I’m a rookie at this. I’ll try tomorrow to see what I can do. It had close to 12 volts with the choke cap on. I thought it may have been a vacuum leak, but it runs great when I push the cam down when the engine is warm. I feel like it’s something simple that I’m just not getting. I appreciate your responses, and I look forward to getting this right.

The choke uses vacuum on the piston inside the unit, to keep it open. It also keeps the choke heated coil from burning up. So bad gaskets, carbon keeping it stuck, or just needs to be adjusted. Link to the choke instructions: http://documents.holley.com/199r7972-5rev.pdf

I checked all the voltage and still looks good. I took the carb off and noticed some fuel on the gasket. I torqued it to 80 inch pounds like the instructions said. Does that sound like it could be a vacuum leak?

UPDATE: So thanks to a friend, I was able to put another carburetor on. However, it’s doing the same thing. I’m assuming a vacuum leak somewhere, but I have no idea. Runs great at idle, but choke closes and revs high when I give it throttle. Very frustrating. Any further advice is greatly appreciated.