Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holley HP ECU – Engine Loses Spark (Dies) after Approximately 5 Minutes of Running

Testing the MSD CD ignition box.
    Points Output - white wire & Magnetic Pickup - violet/green triggering:
    https://www.msdperformance.com/suppo...ng_techniques/ (Troubleshooting Info)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Here are the MSD 6AL results:
    • Ran Engine Until It Died – About 5 Minutes (Loss of Spark)
    • Left Key-On
    • Unhook the White Wire on the MSD Digital 6AL Module
    • Removed the Coil Wire from the Distributor Cap and Set the Terminal 1/2" from Ground
    • Touched White Wire to Ground
    • NO SPARK

• Turned Key-off, Then Key-On (Cycled Power)
    • Left White Wire Unhooked on the MSD Digital 6AL Module
    • Coil Wire was Still Removed from the Distributor Cap and Set the Terminal 1/2" from Ground
    • Touched White Wire to Ground
    • SPARKED EVERY TIME I Touched Ground with White Wire

So cycling power resets the MSD box. What does that mean? A Bad MSD Digital 6AL Box?
    I started the engine again after cycling power, and it only ran a couple minutes before dying again because of loss of spark.
    This engine dying situation has gotten a lot worse than what it was in the summer where it would die once and then be fine the rest of the day.

Now it will only run for 2-3 minutes each time before it dies and you have to cycle power again. In fact I had to turn the car around in my garage so I went down the block and back and I had to cycle power a total of 4 times to get back to my house. I'm pretty convinced it is the MSD 6AL box. I just ordered another one. Should arrive tomorrow. I will let you know if that cures the dying issue.

Did you check to see if you had battery positive, negative & trigger at your MSD box, when the spark shuts off? If so, I would agree with your assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by RacerMark View Post
    I have had heavy condensation inside the cap and everything is very rusty looking.
    Drill out the 4 rivets of the MSD box. You will probably find water/condensation damage. If so, get the epoxy version. It will last longer.

I just installed my new MSD Digital 6AL box (went with black this time) and of course that WAS THE ISSUE FROM DAY ONE! Thanks for all your HELP on solving the dying problem! You have to love the support the Holley Forums provide. Big Thanks! RacerMark

And the MSD Digital 6 series CDI boxes are much better too (newer technology).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12