Thread: Sniper Draining Battery

Default Sniper Draining Battery

I've notice a new pattern. I have a dual set of battery connections. I use one set for normal operation of vehicle with a heavy duty safety switch to cut all ground from battery to frame while car is not in use/storage. The other set is strictly for the ground & positive wires connected directly to battery for the Sniper EFI only and it stays connected 24/7. When I flip the switch to cut ground off and come back a day later, the battery is completely drained. If I don't flip the switch and leave the complete system undisturbed, the car is ready to go at anytime? During the installation of the Sniper setup, I noticed that when I would finish for the day, the handheld unit would "Flash" constantly only when I interrupt this ground to frame switch. I currently have the handheld unplugged and still having the issue. Has anyone came across this problem? BTW, initially during install I was advised by Holley Tech to leave the red & black to battery constantly connected, so unit wouldn't lose memory or I would have to run Wizard every time I decided to take car out for a drive. Kinda makes sense, but what I'm surprised about is that unit doesn't retain memory if it's all powered down from battery. GM large cap HEI only. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by redcruz1120; 03-05-2018 at 01:38 PM.

Do you hear the fuel pump running when the screen is flashing?

The Sniper EFI will not lose its configuration if it's disconnected from the power supply (battery). I had my negative battery cable disconnected for the last three weeks while working on the car, and when reconnected, the engine fired up and ran perfectly. Someone at Holley Tech gave you erroneous information.

So you have one battery with two sets of wiring correct? One set is the main one for the vehicle, but the ground goes through a disconnect switch? The second set goes just to the Sniper? If that's the case, your system is trying to use the Sniper ground to complete the circuit. Something in the switch is draining the battery. To do what you're trying to do with the switch, you have to remove both grounds.
    '73 K5 Blazer, built 350 SBC 375 HP/425 TQ, 12" F/18" R suspension travel. Deaver springs with King shocks, D44/12 bolt, 3.73 gears, lunchbox locker F/Auburn Posi R, crossover steering, 35" BFG Mud Terrains, Vintage Air system, PRP suspension seats, lots of custom work, all built by me.

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyC10 View Post
    Do you hear the fuel pump running when the screen is flashing?
    No fuel pump running, but even if it did, it would only prime, right? But no, the pump doesn't run at all.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo2 View Post
    The Sniper EFI will not lose its configuration if it's disconnected from the power supply (battery). I had my negative battery cable disconnected for the last three weeks while working on the car, and when reconnected, the engine fired up and ran perfectly. Someone at Holley Tech gave you erroneous information.
    Really? I like what I hear from you. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Old Shellback View Post
    So you have one battery with two sets of wiring correct? One set is the main one for the vehicle, but the ground goes through a disconnect switch? The second set goes just to the Sniper? If that's the case, your system is trying to use the Sniper ground to complete the circuit. Something in the switch is draining the battery. To do what you're trying to do with the switch, you have to remove both grounds.
    Exactly. So the flash that was there with the screen on was a sign that the system was trying to connect through the only connected ground to the system? I was just going from I was told. To keep the positive & negative constantly connected to battery. Which at the same time I thought, "There's going to be a time I will definitely have to disconnect those two from battery sooner or later." I sent my handheld to Holley for a exchange, since every time I would move the cable close to screen, it would lose connection. I will wait til I get my screen back and try that. Disconnection ground from battery as with everything else. Thanks!