Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting the throttle linkage from Synchronized to Progressive.

Default Converting the throttle linkage from Synchronized to Progressive.

The Terminator comes with 1:1 synchronized throttle linkage, meaning both throttle shafts open together. Great for the race track; not so hot for cruising or around town. Opening all the throttle blades together makes the engine a little twitchy. However, the throttle body (and its linkage) is based on the proven 4150 carburetor and some of the kits made for the carb can be used on the Terminator (and probably the Sniper, too).

For example, Holley Pro Series Secondary Linkage Kits 20-122 (https://static.summitracing.com/glob...hly-20-122.pdf) allows you to replace the bent rod which opens the secondary shaft with a more precise (and adjustable) threaded rod. The kit also allows you to switch between synchronized and progressive operation. And it fits. Also, the Terminator EFI software already has the provision for progressive throttle operation. It's in the initial engine setup menu, but you can go back and make that change without affecting any of the other existing settings. Sweet.

I have had my kit on for a little over a year and have driven over 4,000 mile with it. It makes the car soooo much nicer to drive. I have a '73 Mercury Capri with a 347 V8 and it is set up for Grand Touring (not Pro Touring) so smooth operation is a must. And, if I go "pedal-to-the-metal", all the power is still there, baby.

P.S. In the setup, when you select "Progressive", it will ask when the secondaries start to open. The correct answer is "36 degrees".
    Last edited by 347Capri; 04-09-2018 at 11:29 PM. Reason: To correct 30 degrees to 36 degrees

May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

It is a good discussion, but the theme is about refining the existing 1:1 linkage. My post was about using the same 20-122 kit to convert the linkage to progressive operation and explain its benefits.

Yep, thanks for your post.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

My question is when you actually select progressive in the EFI software, will it actually operate the injectors progressively on a Terminator EFI system?

Yes. https://forums.holley.com/showthread...njector-Firing (Similar Forum Thread)

EFI Software Help Information/Instructions:
    ‒ On the top Toolbar, click "Help" & "Contents". This opens all Help topics.
    ‒ When navigating the software, click "Help ?", drag it to any parameter and click again.
    ..This automatically opens the definitions for that specific parameter.
    ‒ Tuning information can be read by clicking the F1 key, when you're viewing any screen.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_199r10544.pdf (Holley EFI Help/Instructions Overview)

Tagging along for curiosity & discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by SatherCS View Post
    My question is when you actually select progressive in the EFI software, will it actually operate the injectors progressively on a Terminator EFI system?
    I haven't found anything in the Terminator EFI software which shows the adjustment in injector timing, but I can tell you the smoothness and driveability did not suffer at all when I made the conversion. I think that once you set the secondary throttle opening ("Check For Progressive Throttle Body Linkage" in Engine Parameters) to 30 in the setup, the calculations are internal & automatic.

Do you think this would improve light throttle driveability in an automatic transmission car, with a driver that's typically tender footed?

Absolutely. I have a small car, a SBF 347, an AOD transmission, and a very "tight" converter. That combination made for very "twitchy" low-speed driving. I put up with it for a couple years before did the research. The linkage kit installation was quite easy. I then went through the setup Wizard again, this time selecting Progressive. The change was immediate and very gratifying. I can now roll off a stop smoothly and with no drama. Highly recommended.