Thread: Fresh install, could use a few pointers.

Default Fresh install, could use a few pointers.

Hello all. I'm putting together a basic, low HP power plant for an older Chevy 4x4. I go up & down in elevation & temperature a lot in this truck, so I'm really looking forward to the simplicity of EFI once it's properly configured. I have a new crate Chevrolet L31-R long block, a 4-bolt main Vortec engine for 3/4-1 ton trucks & vans from 96-??. There is a TH400 in the truck already. I bought a Holley Sniper EFI, Holley dual sync distributor, dual sync harness adapter, EP381 OEM in-tank fuel pump & MSD Blaster SS 8207. I plan on running dual fans in the truck as well. No A/C as of now. I've been looking over the installation instructions and have a few questions:

1. I've read it's best to get the engine running on fuel only before adding ignition control. I don't have an existing distributor and this is a fresh install. Any pointers on doing EFI and timing/ignition control at the same time?

2. Pin C (blue wire) on the 7-pin connector is for the fuel pump. Is this for triggering an external relay for the fuel pump or is there a built-in relay in the Sniper? I.E. Run the blue wire directly to the fuel pump positive power supply wire? Fuel pump is OEM to 1996 Chevy truck with Vortec 5.7. Nothing special amperage wise, but I think around 15ish amps.

3. As previously stated, I will be running dual electric fans from pins C & D on the 10-pin connector to trigger fan relays. Any special considerations or pointers here?

4. The one I'm really curious about, can I use the yellow pin B wire from the 10-pin connector to control the TH400 kickdown? If not, is there another wire? If so, any pointers on how to properly set this up. Thanks so much for the help in advance, Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by jpgreenwood View Post
    1. I've read it's best to get the engine running on fuel only before adding ignition control. I don't have an existing distributor and this is a fresh install. Any pointers on doing EFI and timing/ignition control at the same time?
    I don't agree with that. Using the Holley Dual Sync Distributor is just too easy.
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...8495#post98495 (Read this thread for more info.)

2. Pin C (blue wire) on the 7-pin connector is for the fuel pump. Is this for triggering an external relay for the fuel pump or is there a built-in relay in the Sniper? I.E. Run the blue wire directly to the fuel pump positive power supply wire?
    Yes, there's a preinstalled fuel pump relay: http://documents.holley.com/199r11031r.pdf (Sniper EFI Instruction Manual - Page 17)

3. As previously stated, I will be running dual electric fans from pins C & D on the 10-pin connector to trigger fan relays. Any special considerations or pointers here?
    The Sniper EFI electric fan ground wires (pin C, light blue - Fan #1 & pin D, light green - Fan #2) trigger the relay coil − (terminal #85). Yes, terminal #85/Ground is the industry standard for good quality relays, with or without a diode. Sniper EFI instruction manual: LINK - page 17 & 50.

4. The one I'm really curious about, can I use the yellow pin B wire from the 10-pin connector to control the TH400 kickdown?
    The yellow wire (Input #2) is a programmable ground Input, not an Output. You'll probably be able to use the "Secondary Fuel Pump" Output (in Basic I/O - System Parameters) to control the TH400 kickdown. See the "Sniper EFI Software" (LINK - scroll down).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    The yellow wire (Input #2) is a programmable ground Input, not an Output. You'll probably be able to use the "Secondary Fuel Pump" Output (in Basic I/O - System Parameters) to control the TH400 kickdown. See the "Sniper EFI Software" (LINK - scroll down).
    I read the section for I/O programming for the Secondary Fuel Pump, however, it is brief. It does not state which wire is associated with this function. This is the entire section I found:
    "Basic I/O
    Electric Fans
    Allows you to set up one or two triggered outputs for fan relays. The on temperature will always be forced higher than the off temperature by the software.
    Air Conditioning
    A/C Shutdown: This enables the A/C output and allows you to setup up the maximum TPS & CTS that the output will be active. Whenever under the max settings the A/C will be active
    IAC Kick: Enabling this input will allow for the Idle Air Control motor to automatically make an increase in steps necessary to avoid a momentary drop in idle speed. The number is how much, in percent, the kick adds to the IAC
    Enable Fan #1 when A/C is on: Use if you have a cooling fan wired in and want it on whenever the A/C is active.
    Secondary Fuel Pump
    This can be configured to activate above a certain TPS, RPM, and/or Boost/vacuum level. Note: This output remains active for 5 seconds after the criteria to deactivate have been met.
    "

What am I missing? Are there further instructions elsewhere? Thanks, Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by jpgreenwood View Post
    It does not state which wire is associated with this function.
    You must assign the Secondary Fuel Pump wire in the Sniper EFI software. It can be Output #1, #2 or #6.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Okay, great! So with dual fans, the obvious choice would be Output #6. Thanks, Jeremy

That's correct. You're welcome.