Thread: Timing Question

Default Timing Question

I'm setup using Holley EFI to Aftermarket Ignition. Using Hall-Effect Pickup Crank Trigger (ECU Controlling Ignition Timing).
    My question: If I send a signal (12V) to my MSD Digital 7 to retard timing, will the engine actually retard timing?
    Dominator EFI
    SBC 406 F2 A/W
    660 FT only

If it's the last device in the food chain (before the coil) then yes. I really don't see how you could install it any other way.

Yes. However, always use the Holley EFI Rev Limiters (Ignition Parameters - System ICF)/Timing Retards (Basic I/O - System ICF). The Holley ECU rev limiters revert the ECU to open loop mode while active, so the Learning/self-tuning isn't skewed. Also, I'd prefer the ECU to control timing (because there are many ECU parameters/features that function off of the timing control), and use the MSD CD ignition box for increased spark energy.

31x31 Timing Table,
    Idle Spark Control,
    Rev Limiters,
    2-Step Retard,
    General Timing Retards,
    Boost Timing Retards,
    N2O Timing Retards,
    Water/Meth Retards,
    Traction Control Retards,
    Trans Torque Retards,
    Cranking Retard,
    Knock Sensors,
    CTS Modifier,
    IAT Modifier,
    Advanced ICF, etc.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Thanks so much. I wanted to send the 12V signal to the Dominator and have it retard timing, but had no luck how to do that.

You're welcome. The Holley EFI Timing Retards #1, #2 & #3 are in Basic I/O - System ICF.
    The Holley EFI software's three Timing Retards (in Basic I/O), that can be RPM or Time based.
    However, most racers prefer to use the Timing Retard (Time or RPM based) in the Nitrous Oxide ICF.
    Use "Pause Enabled" (Nitrous ICF), so the retard continues (not restart) if the vehicle is pedaled after activation.

EFI Software Help Information/Instructions:
    ‒ On the top Toolbar, click "Help" & "Contents". This opens all Help topics.
    ‒ When navigating the software, click "Help ?", drag it to any parameter and click again.
    ..This automatically opens the definitions for that specific parameter.
    ‒ Tuning information can be read by clicking the F1 key, when you're viewing any screen.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_199r10544.pdf (Holley EFI Help/Instructions Overview)
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...r10546rev1.pdf (Holley EFI Quick Start Guide)
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual & Diagrams)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires