Thread: Sniper Starting & hiccup issues.

Default Sniper Starting & hiccup issues.

I'm having starting issues when the car is hot or cold.
    Sometimes it stalls. I can sometimes work the gas pedal to keep it running.
    When cold on test drives, it might hiccup/stall.

Starting and the hiccups are really the only problems.
    I have tried all of the suggestions on the forum and have had no luck.
    Even calling Holley numerous times.

Attached are a few pictures of the read outs.
    Any help would be appreciative.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180214_105532.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	2830   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180214_105525.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	2831   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180214_105550.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	2832   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180214_105621.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	2833   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180214_105633.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	2834  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180214_105703.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	2835   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180214_105731.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	2836   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180214_105804.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	2837  

I can not see your pictures of the readouts. What is the CL Comp when it's not running right? If it's not the Sniper EFI could it be your ignition?

I thought WOT ignition timing would be 36°.

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyC10 View Post
    I can not see your pictures of the readouts. What is the CL Comp when it's not running right? If it's not the Sniper EFI could it be your ignition?
    Where would I find the CL Comp in EFI software adjustments? Thanks, I will try 36°. Thank you.

Close Loop Compensation is when the ECU temporarily changes the Base Fuel Table to run at the preset Target Air/Fuel Ratio. So if your CL Comp is above 50%, you'll need to try a different Wizard or tune your current Base Fuel Table because it's off and making the engine run too lean or rich. You can only adjust the speed of how fast the CL Comp makes changes, and you should not need to change it. Is the Sniper controlling timing? If so, are you using a magnetic pickup distributor?

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyC10 View Post
    Close Loop Compensation is when the ECU temporarily changes the Base Fuel Table to run at the preset Target Air/Fuel Ratio. So if your CL Comp is above 50%, you'll need to try a different Wizard or tune your current Base Fuel Table because it's off and making the engine run too lean or rich. You can only adjust the speed of how fast the CL Comp makes changes, and you should not need to change it. Is the Sniper controlling timing? If so, are you using a magnetic pickup distributor?
    **It is not in Closed Loop when it's cold & starting it. Why would adjusting it help, since at that point it's in Open Loop?
    **No the Sniper EFI is not controlling the timing, so No, I'm not using a magnetic pickup distributor.

When my friend had trouble with starting, it was the fuel prime that was causing the issue (basically flooding the engine). I left the Fuel Prime Multiplier alone, and changed the Fuel Prime Percentage to 50%. That seemed to really help out a lot with starting hot & cold.

8. Default

I don't know too much, but to get mine setup pretty well, I tuned off Closed Loop Compensation so it wouldn't be switching on/off while I was figuring out what the engine was doing.

I'd turn on the key to run, long enough to have the oxygen sensor heat up and give me an air/fuel display, then crank & start it and watch the display. You can get a good feeling for what the engine wants watching the display.

I think maybe your fuel prime is too low. The manual says 150% percent is a good starting point and mine is at 145% and just right.

If it's stalling after you start it, I'd look at Coolant Temperature Enrichment. Mines at 160% up to 80°F and tapers down 100% at running temp.

Also there is Acceleration Enrichment vs Coolant Temp. Allowing you turn dial in the amount of "accelerator pump shot" depending on the engine temp. Cool engine, bigger shot.

Like I said, what really helped me is dialing it all in, in open loop. Then when I click it into closed loop, it's just icing on the cake. Not sure if this is the preferred way, but worked for me. Good luck, B.
    Last edited by BrianSanDiego; 02-16-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Have you taken any datalogs?