Thread: A Few Sniper EFI Install Questions

Default A Few Sniper EFI Install Questions

Hi. So I'm about to purchase a Holley Sniper EFI system for my 1969 Camaro with a small block 350 HO engine, and I'm putting my parts list together and cost model to do the complete installation. I'm planning on converting to a dual electric fan system for cooling and I have a couple questions and looking for some input on this idea.

First I was trying to figure out how I could get my fans to operate as a two stage cooling system. (I.E. One fan running at normal operating temperature and the second fan kicking in when the temperature get a little to hot.) The idea came to me that I might be able to use the fan control from the Sniper system to achieve this without have to purchase a separate control to make this work. My idea is to make the first fan and wire it in the standard method by using a relay and the temperature switch in the manifold that will turn on at 195°F and off at 180°F. On the second fan I would wire it through the second relay and temperature switch and connect it to the fan lead from the Sniper Control Module and use this to control when this fan comes on. So I would want to set this at 195°F and off at 185°F. That way this fan would come on when the engine get a little over heated and help cool the system down when needed. Will this work the way I am thinking?

Also, do I need to change out my stock thermostat out for a higher range one, so the engine has a higher base running temperature since I'm running an EFI system?

One more question. I'm planning on using the Holley retro fit in-tank fuel pump Holley 12-300 Fuel Pump, Electric In-Tank, which states Fuel pressure is regulated internally and preset at 58 psi, and the Holley Sniper also have an internal fuel pressure regulator, does this cause any issues with having two regulators in series on the fuel line? Will this Holley in-tank pump work with the Sniper EFI system? Also, the Holley 12-300 states that no return line is required this is all handled within the tank. Will the Sniper unit work well without a return line? - Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe69Camaro View Post
    First I was trying to figure out how I could get my fans to operate as a two stage cooling system. (I.E. One fan running at normal operating temperature and the second fan kicking in when the temperature get a little to hot.) The idea came to me that I might be able to use the fan control from the Sniper system to achieve this without have to purchase a separate control to make this work. My idea is to make the first fan and wire it in the standard method by using a relay and the temperature switch in the manifold that will turn on at 195°F and off at 180°F. On the second fan I would wire it through the second relay and temperature switch and connect it to the fan lead from the Sniper Control Module and use this to control when this fan comes on. So I would want to set this at 195°F and off at 185°F. That way this fan would come on when the engine get a little over heated and help cool the system down when needed. Will this work the way I am thinking?
    http://documents.holley.com/199r11031r.pdf (Holley Sniper EFI Instruction Manual - "Electric Fan #1 & #2", Pages 51 & 65)

Also, do I need to change out my stock thermostat out for a higher range one, so the engine has a higher base running temperature since I'm running an EFI system?
    No.

One more question. I'm planning on using the Holley retro fit in-tank fuel pump Holley 12-300 Fuel Pump, Electric In-Tank, which states Fuel pressure is regulated internally and preset at 58 psi, and the Holley Sniper also have an internal fuel pressure regulator, does this cause any issues with having two regulators in series on the fuel line?
    There can only be one fuel pressure regulator. So if using the Holley 12-300 Fuel Pump, you'd install a -6AN Cap (LINK) on the Sniper EFI fuel pressure regulator return fitting on the throttle body.
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...6417#post86417 (Additional Information)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Danny, thanks for your help & references to help me with my projects. - Joe

You're welcome.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Danny, do you know if Holley has any plans to sell a retro fit in-tank without the regulator? Now that most of the newer systems have regulators built-in, it would make for a much nicer system if we could use the in-tank retro fit with a return line and the regulator at the throttle body. Just a suggestion. Maybe sell one model of the retro fits with the regulator and one model without. -Joe

I don't know if Holley will do that. However, the in-tank fuel pressure regulator can probably be removed or modified for free flow flow usage. I'd have to see it.

Tanks Inc sells a setup for a in-tank pump with no regulator. I used their system on my install. Nice & clean. Uses a Walbro pump. Comes with filters too, and you can get their fuel line system with -6AN fittings.
    '73 K5 Blazer, built 350 SBC 375 HP/425 TQ, 12" F/18" R suspension travel. Deaver springs with King shocks, D44/12 bolt, 3.73 gears, lunchbox locker F/Auburn Posi R, crossover steering, 35" BFG Mud Terrains, Vintage Air system, PRP suspension seats, lots of custom work, all built by me.

Holley sells the same hardware as Tanks Inc. SNIPER EFI FUEL TANK SYSTEM The difference is Tanks Inc sells parts piecemeal, and Holley sells systems.