Thread: Thinking Out Loud

Default Thinking Out Loud

Hello. Walking through a wiring problem and need a yes or no. I have a Terminator EFI with a Dominator ECU, using a MSD 6AL. From what I'm understanding you don't use the coil circuit in the cars original fuse block. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm looking for +12V while cranking, start & run. Would the old coil circuit be a good place to pull the 12 volts? I'm rebuilding the entire car and haven't added a battery yet, or would check voltage while cranking. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tmoats View Post
    I'm looking for +12V while cranking, start & run.
    I've always found this at the ignition switch wiring.

Ensure the Switched +12V red/white wire (pink wire - Sniper EFI) is powered in the "Run" and "Crank" key positions.
    The ignition switch must have a wire that's powered in "run" and "crank" key positions leading to the ignition system.
    The ignition switch can't start the engine, if there isn't a circuit that's powered in the "Run" and "Crank" key positions.
    The easiest way to find this wire, is to look at the wiring schematics in a factory shop manual or even a Haynes manual.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

My aftermarket fuse block has a fused coil wire circuit. I may be wrong, but my understanding is not to connect this to the coil. Is this correct?

Please read the instruction manual (LINK - page 14, "+12V Switched Red/White Wire").

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Yes, I've read that before. This 12V source coming from the car's fuse block will not be wired to the coil. Because using wires from the MSD 6AL controlled by the Dominator ECU, to connect to the coil, therefore will 12V from the cars fuse block still be "dirty"?

Answering my own question. After much research, you do connect the switched +12V red/white wire to the old coil wire when using a MSD 6AL. This is a good clean source.

That's a good point, since the MSD CD ignition box now fires the coil (not the original coil wires).