Thread: No Start After TPS Sensor Fail

Default No Start After TPS Sensor Fail

I have a Sniper EFI installed on my 1970 Chevelle with a 454. Had it running and was moving around out front to go on trailer to painter, and next time I tried to start it would not start. I went through troubleshooting and checked fuel pressure. Pressure was good at 60 psi. Checked the sensors and I noticed that the TPS was stuck at 100% with throttle blades closed. Cycled the key. No Change. Unplugged it, car fired right up. I searched the internet for replacement TPS cross reference to an over the counter parts store it with no luck. To me it looked the same as a '90 Chevy truck TBI TPS, so I went to the auto parts store and bought one for a '95 5.7L. Standard Brand TH42. It was the same other than the slotted adjustment on the Holley switch. I installed it and the car fired right up. I have not even ran this Sniper EFI system for longer than 20 minutes and the TPS already failed? Any warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by Badd69 View Post
    I searched the internet for replacement TPS cross reference to an over the counter parts store it with no luck.
    Holley 543-111 TPS or Standard Motor Products TH191 TPS. It's slotted, so install it in the same position. The Sniper EFI calibrates the TPS sensor at every key-on event.

I have not even ran this Sniper EFI system for longer than 20 minutes and the TPS already failed? Any warranty?
    Contact Holley Tech Service (LINK).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I tried to get the TH191, but both places I went to did not stock it. I will try calling Holley tomorrow. Thank you for the response.
    Danny, is there a reason you can't use a small cap HEI that GM used on the TPI & TBI up to '95 for timing control?

Thank you for the response.
    You're welcome.

Danny, is there a reason you can't use a small cap HEI that GM used on the TPI & TBI up to '95 for timing control?
    Using the GM small cap HEI distributor "as is", is Terminator EFI capability.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

It is possible by removing the HEI module, and using the distributor as a magnetic trigger. See: http://www.chevelles.com/forums/89-e...cost-dist.html