Thread: Fuel Prime Initial Setup

Default Fuel Prime Initial Setup

After the Sniper handheld told me to do a fuel prime, I did the fuel prime and fuel wouldn't stop coming out of my line, until I turn the ignition off. Is this normal? I had the fuel line going to a gas can. Good thing is I have good pressure. Looking on the bright side.

If you're using an MSD Digital 6AL CD ignition box with EFI, ensure the Rev Limiter Verification feature is disabled (LINK).
    The MSD Ready-To-Run Distributors (even without the MSD Digital CDI box): http://documents.msdperformance.com/...r_addendum.pdf (MSD Ready-To-Run Rev Limiter Addendum)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Let me rephrase. I did not have the fuel line to the fuel inlet of the Sniper. I had the fuel line going to a gas can and I turned the ignition on and the fuel pump just kept going, forever until I turned the key off. This was my original question and is the normal. After some thinking I realize, and correct me if I'm wrong, but this is normal. If the fuel line was connected to the Sniper and not free flowing into a gas can it would have stopped. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think I'm forgetting it's not mechanical, even though if I turn the engine over with a mechanical pump not hooked up to a carb, the fuel line would still pour gas everywhere also. What I wanted to do was simply clean the fuel line of any debris, but I should have turned the ignition off after a few seconds and repeated a few times correct?
    Last edited by RPnova; 02-08-2018 at 02:38 AM.

No, that's not normal. The Sniper EFI fuel system prime occurs 2.5 seconds after key-on, and should only last a few seconds. Then it runs the fuel pump again when the ECU receives an RPM signal.
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...pump-blue-wire (Additional Information)

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I didn't think it was normal at the time. All the Holley videos I watched say the same thing, and I thought it would last a few seconds too, but fuel kept coming out. Any ideas what to check, potential ground problem with the new pump? Thinking back on tonight I realized I did not have my WBO2 installed or plugged into the harness. I don't think that could cause a problem, do you?
    Last edited by RPnova; 02-08-2018 at 03:47 AM.

Just fully install the EFI system as instructed and start there. Also, ensure there's a base calibration uploaded into the ECU with the Wizard.

I know it loaded a base calibration because I pushed start then the handheld told me to cycle the ignition. Then I don't I think turned the ignition off. I think I went straight to the run position. That's what I did. I don't remember the handheld loading again. I thought I was doing a fuel prime, not an ignition cycle.
    Last edited by RPnova; 02-08-2018 at 04:31 AM.

I just finished my installation a few days ago. After driving for a bit to let the Sniper EFI Learn, I had the bright idea to hit the firmware update button. I don't believe it did anything to change the firmware, but it did wipe out my initial calibration. After the fact, I read the part about how to download the current ECU calibration, which I should have done before hitting the FW update button (DOH!!!), so back to square one.
    More to the point, I noticed the same thing that the fuel pump ran continuously when the ECU did not have a current calibration uploaded. After setting up a calibration with the Wizard and cycling the power, all was good again and the pump cycled as it should. Good luck! Kevin

Good info, thanks Kevin!