Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can't datalog.

OK, I'm going to update to V4 and basically start over. I've only got maybe 10 minutes of Learning tunes on the base calibration I started with, so it's not like I'm throwing anything away by not saving my current Global File stuff. Both water pumps started leaking after 20-30 minutes of engine running. (They are 50 years old. I should have replaced them automatically when I built it.) So that kinda brought things to a halt anyway. New ones came in today. I'll report back later if the USB connectivity issue is still there with the new stuff installed.

This is killing me. I upgraded to V4 and successfully installed the new firmware. (Love the "dashboard" feature in V4.) Went through & configured everything for my engine again, hit the key, it started right up. And as soon as it started, the USB Link died, the dashboard display packed its tent & disappeared, and the now "unlinked" laptop app just sat there & acted dead on timeout. Of course, the engine kept on running just fine, so clearly the ECU had no other issues. Same as before. What it in the heck?

Tried a couple more times. Noted that the dashboard display is quite active as far as displaying data while cranking right up, until literally the very instant the engine actually fires off & starts running. The very instant the engine fires, the link between the ECU & laptop dies and stays dead.

Have you tried to connect after the engine is running?
    '95 Lightning, HP EFI, 351W, S472SX-E,20PSI,pump and W/M

Quote Originally Posted by bWright View Post
    Have you tried to connect after the engine is running?
    Sure have, a number of different "sequences" as far as plugging in the USB, booting the Holley app, etc., etc. Bottom line is always the same: If the engine is running the Holley app cannot find the ECU nor link to it. I'm going to try something today; since I work in an electronic controls shop that builds mil-spec control equipment. I'm going to fab up a shield for the USB cable, with a drain wire to earth, and see if ignition EMI is the culprit. This is a fiberglass bodied vehicle I'm dealing with.
    Last edited by Gilligan; 02-08-2018 at 08:45 AM.

You could also try inquiring with Holley Tech Service (LINK); maybe they've dealt with this issue before.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    You could also try calling Holley Tech Service (LINK); maybe they've dealt with this issue before.
    I will do that, after my shielding test. Thanks!

Sad day. I'm going to have to abandon Holley's EFI after almost 20 years of being a huge fan. From Projection 4D through Commander 950. This HP disaster has me whupped. I've tried every trick I could possibly think of, but the USB Link dies and the laptop V4 app crashes withing 2 seconds after every time I fire the engine. Different laptops, a ton of tin foil on the USB cable and a "drain" wire, nothing helps. ECU keeps running fine, Learning doing its stuff, but that's not enough. I need to see the running data, everyone does.

Damn, I was hoping to read that you got it. Anyway you could try another ECU? Have you talked to Holley?
    '95 Lightning, HP EFI, 351W, S472SX-E,20PSI,pump and W/M

Yep, talked to Holley Tech support. They were stumped too.

What about your charging system? Could you be getting some kind of interference from the alternator? (Or generator since you are running a Flathead?)
    How about just taking the belt off the alternator, and starting the engine and seeing if the USB stays connected? Perhaps you have a bad diode or some issue that's only present when the alternator is charging? Might be worth a shot.

May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast