Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intake Manifolds

Default Intake Manifolds

I've read of SOME peoples issues with using a dual-plane intake with EFI, and others have no problems. The 454 in my '55 Chevy has run an Edelbrock Performer intake, which is dual-plane, with carburetor, with much success, which tells me this was a good intake for this engine. Having said this, should I expect this to work well when adding a SNIPER EFI?

If, there is enough doubt as to the above being a good combination, my question is: What would be an IDEAL intake for this? (Engine has flat top pistons, Edelbrock Performer cam & heads, manual transmission, 3:55 gears & street driven.) Considering the cost of changing to EFI, changing intake for optimum results is not a big deal. Thanks for any input! Shoebox

I have the Sniper EFI sitting on top of an Edelbrock Performer dual-plane intake with a 1/2" phenolic spacer. Have not fired it up yet, but I'll let you know how it does. It's much cheaper than a whole new intake. And if you want low end torque, then you definitely don't want a single-plane intake.

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu27 View Post
    I have the Sniper EFI sitting on top of an Edelbrock Performer dual-plane intake with a 1/2" phenolic spacer. Have not fired it up yet, but I'll let you know how it does. It's much cheaper than a whole new intake. And if you want low end torque, then you definitely don't want a single-plane intake.
    That's exactly what I have on my 327, and it runs like a champ!

Yes, use the appropriate intake manifold type & model for your engine application/combination.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Big thanks for your guys response. My take away at this point is I don't want a single-plane intake for low end torque (which I want), but I need a spacer for good operation, correct? Shoebox

You can first try it without the spacer. Although, a 1/2" or 1" four hole spacer quiets the Sniper EFI IAC noise.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Danny, you bring up what was to be my next question. I imagine the spacer would be of the OPEN type, due to the dual-plane having the divided plenum. You mention four hole spacer, comments? Thanks! Shoebox

My comment is in post #6. IF you have the Sniper IAC noise, use the four hole spacer. If you want to maintain the plenum divider, a four hole spacer is used. The advantageous use of spacers is experimental on a case-by-case basis.

Honestly, at the time I read post #6, I did not know what IAC noise was (I do now). My understanding of why SOME have issues when using a dual-plane manifold is because it IS divided, and using an OPEN spacer allows both sides to "co-mingle" more. I'm interested what style spacer you guys are using. Shoebox

This is what I have understood as well. Danny, if spacer is not possible with hood clearance, how much should I mill the divider down?