Thread: Slight Throttle Hang

Default Slight Throttle Hang

This is nit picky, but id like to try & tune out a slight throttle hang at idle. If I rev the engine, it doesn't snap back to idle. With idle set at 900 RPM, I can rev it to 2000 or 3000 RPM, then when I let off, it drops to 1100 or 1200 RPM and hangs there for a second before slowly dropping back to idle RPM. Is there a way to tune this out or is this just normal?

Check your IAC Ramp Down Parameters, and ensure the ignition timing isn't over-advanced.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Not sure what overly advanced is, but I run about 20° idle timing, 34° cruise, and 32° WOT.
    IAC Ramp Decay Time is 4.0 sec.
    Idle To Start Ramp is 1000 RPM.
    RPM Above Idle To Re-enable Idle Control is 100 RPM.

Try decreasing the IAC Ramp Decay Time and maybe the IAC Hold Position too.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Will do thanks Danny! Is there something to watch for as I decrease time? Like if I go too far will it fall past idle and surge back, etc?

Some engines aren't susceptible to instability when returning to idle. You just have to experiment with it.

I have zeroed out the IAC Hold Position altogether. I much prefer it this way. The only down side I've found is with a cold engine, the IAC is very high to achieve my idle speed. When you blip the throttle the IAC of course shuts off to zero & when you let off the throttle it takes a little bit to open back up & recover the RPM. I actually wish the IAC Hold Position was adjustable by engine temperature.