Thread: Sniper EFI, Dual Sync, MSD 6AL, Blaster 2 Coil

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Sniper EFI, Dual Sync, MSD 6AL, Blaster 2 Coil

This is my first post. I ordered the Sniper EFI system with the Dual Sync, MSD 6AL & 8202 Blaster 2 coil. I can't find any wiring diagrams showing this combination of parts. I'm trying to figure out if it'll work and how to wire it. I see a wiring diagram that shows a CD type coil with the 6AL box. Is that going to be the same as what I have?

I'm switching over from a Holley 4150 DP & HEI distributor. My engine is a SBC 383 stroker that I built last winter. That was my first engine build and it went well. The engine is strong and has about 350 HP. I'm changing to EFI because I had a lot of problems with timing and not enough fuel. I had to dial back the timing to 2° BTDC or it would ping. The engine wanted to ping when I would hammer it from a rolling start. I started with an Edelbrock 1450, and then I got the Holley 4150. Neither one was supplying enough fuel at WOT. And I spent months tuning them both to try & fix it. I eventually had the biggest squirters and the 50cc accelerator pumps with the yellow cams and it still wasn't enough fuel. The reason I know is because I have an Innovate Motorsports AFR gauge.

The engine has a Comp Cams 08-408-8 roller cam with about .490" lift & 206° duration at .050". So it's pretty mild. I wanted a torque engine down low, since it's in an 83 Chevy K20. The heads are Edelbrock E-Tec 170 heads, Edelbrock dual-plane intake. I bought a 1/2" spacer, since I heard sometimes the Sniper has issues with dual-plane intake manifolds. I'll be working on it today. The manual says to start the Sniper EFI for the first time without timing control, so I'll leave the HEI in for the first startup. Thanks for any wisdom you all can impart on me.
    Last edited by Malibu27; 01-27-2018 at 08:45 AM.

The diagram you're looking for (once you go to timing control) is the bottom one on page 36 of the instruction manual.

OK, that shows a different style coil than I have, but it's still the same wiring?

Yes, the ignition coils are the same (2-wire, positive & negative).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks guys!

Since this is initially a non-ECU controlled timing application, you'll install the distributor as you normally would on a carbureted application. EFI isn't involved yet.
    The ECU receives an RPM signal from the CDI box Tach Output wire/terminal (yellow/black wire), or negative terminal of the ignition coil with no CDI box (yellow wire).

However, the implication is you have the nice Holley Dual Sync Distributor. If you've already installed it, then ECU controlled ignition timing is your only option.
    Which would be just fine by me, because I don't agree with first running the engine in non-ECU controlled timing mode. The Dual Sync distributor is too easy.
    Holley Dual Sync Distributor Installation, pages 31-36: http://documents.holley.com/199r11031r.pdf (Holley Sniper EFI Instruction Manual)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gI4FDfU2sI (Holley Sniper EFI - Dual Sync Distributor Installation Tech Video)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5_089Q39CA (Holley Sniper EFI - Dual Sync Distributor Installation Tech Video)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.