Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sniper EFI, Dual Sync, MSD 6AL, Blaster 2 Coil

Default Sniper EFI, Dual Sync, MSD 6AL, Blaster 2 Coil

This is my first post. I ordered the Sniper EFI system with the Dual Sync, MSD 6AL & 8202 Blaster 2 coil. I can't find any wiring diagrams showing this combination of parts. I'm trying to figure out if it'll work and how to wire it. I see a wiring diagram that shows a CD type coil with the 6AL box. Is that going to be the same as what I have?

I'm switching over from a Holley 4150 DP & HEI distributor. My engine is a SBC 383 stroker that I built last winter. That was my first engine build and it went well. The engine is strong and has about 350 HP. I'm changing to EFI because I had a lot of problems with timing and not enough fuel. I had to dial back the timing to 2° BTDC or it would ping. The engine wanted to ping when I would hammer it from a rolling start. I started with an Edelbrock 1450, and then I got the Holley 4150. Neither one was supplying enough fuel at WOT. And I spent months tuning them both to try & fix it. I eventually had the biggest squirters and the 50cc accelerator pumps with the yellow cams and it still wasn't enough fuel. The reason I know is because I have an Innovate Motorsports AFR gauge.

The engine has a Comp Cams 08-408-8 roller cam with about .490" lift & 206° duration at .050". So it's pretty mild. I wanted a torque engine down low, since it's in an 83 Chevy K20. The heads are Edelbrock E-Tec 170 heads, Edelbrock dual-plane intake. I bought a 1/2" spacer, since I heard sometimes the Sniper has issues with dual-plane intake manifolds. I'll be working on it today. The manual says to start the Sniper EFI for the first time without timing control, so I'll leave the HEI in for the first startup. Thanks for any wisdom you all can impart on me.
    Last edited by Malibu27; 01-27-2018 at 08:45 AM.

The diagram you're looking for (once you go to timing control) is the bottom one on page 36 of the instruction manual.

OK, that shows a different style coil than I have, but it's still the same wiring?

Yes, the ignition coils are the same (2-wire, positive & negative).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Thanks guys!

Since this is initially a non-ECU controlled timing application, you'll install the distributor as you normally would on a carbureted application. EFI isn't involved yet.
    The ECU receives an RPM signal from the CDI box Tach Output wire/terminal (yellow/black wire), or negative terminal of the ignition coil with no CDI box (yellow wire).

However, the implication is you have the nice Holley Dual Sync Distributor. If you've already installed it, then ECU controlled ignition timing is your only option.
    Which would be just fine by me, because I don't agree with first running the engine in non-ECU controlled timing mode. The Dual Sync distributor is too easy.
    Holley Dual Sync Distributor Installation, pages 31-36: http://documents.holley.com/199r11031r.pdf (Holley Sniper EFI Instruction Manual)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gI4FDfU2sI (Holley Sniper EFI - Dual Sync Distributor Installation Tech Video)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5_089Q39CA (Holley Sniper EFI - Dual Sync Distributor Installation Tech Video)

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Actually, I already pulled the HEI distributor out because I was going to install the Dual Sync Distributor. Then I read in the manual that you should start it up for the first time without timing control. But, if you're saying that I can go ahead and install the Dual Sync Distributor now, then I'll go ahead and install it, since I have the HEI out anyway. I just need to go into the handheld and change the settings for the Dual Sync before I start it up right? Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu27 View Post
    But, if you're saying that I can go ahead and install the Dual Sync Distributor now, then I'll go ahead and install it, since I have the HEI out anyway.
    Yes, I would install the Holley Dual Sync Distributor from the start. Plenty of users do so without problems.

I just need to go into the handheld and change the settings for the Dual Sync before I start it up right?
    This is what the three links are for, in post #6. Please read/view them.

Done & done. Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu27 View Post
    Done & done. Thanks for the help!
    New install of Sniper & Dual Sync. Not getting spark to the plugs. I've watched the videos and read the instructions a few times now. I'm using an oil-filled canister coil (no MSD CDI box). Coil is new. In the video it says "splice the white wire to the white wire in the auxiliary harness". I cannot find any other white wire, but the one coming from the coil driver itself. I have gray to negative on coil, pink to switched 12 volts, black on the negative on battery, and the twisted green & purple plugged into adapter coming from the dual sync 10-pin. Handheld powers up and all gauges seem to say what they are supposed to. Where is this auxiliary harness and it's illusion white wire? Is that even my problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want my hot rod back. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast