Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holley EFI Dual Sync Distributor

Default Holley EFI Dual Sync Distributor

I'm finally get ready to install my Holley Dominator EFI. I have all the harnesses & sensors, but did not get a cam sensor and was going to run Bank-To-Bank for financial reasons. Now I'm running a MSD crank trigger and I do have the Holley 554-118 Hall-Effect crank sensor. I really would want to run sequential. I see that Holley makes a dual sync distributor with crank and cam sensors? Question, if I run the Holley 565-100 dual sync distributor, what else would I need and not need? I still would run & wire the Dominator to the 554-118? Thanks.

If you use the dual sync distributor you do not need the crank trigger. The dual sync provides both a cam & crank signal. It should plug into your Dominator main harness, but double check your schematic to make sure. Or look at your main harness to see if it has an ignition connector. The dual sync is a good way to go, if you're using a conventional ignition system and need a distributor.

Another way to go would be to buy a cam sync to use with your existing crank trigger and then you can run eight coils. That setup gets rid of the distributor and the ignition box and uses the Dominator to trigger the coils. Lots of ways to go. Best to pick one and stay with it, since it gets expensive if you keep buying parts and changing your mind!

For the money you'd spend on a dual sync distributor, I'd purchase a cam sync unit (& keep the MSD crank trigger you have) and install Coil-Near-Plug ignition. Or, still keep the MSD crank trigger and just use the Holley dual sync distributor for the cam sensor.

FYI: Holley EFI now sells their own Dual Sync Hall-Effect distributors (LINK).
    They're a small cap design, "plug & play" with Holley EFI, and no need for a modified Firing Order.
    The crank & cam sensor signals also provide sequential injection capability (MPFI applications).
    It's "plug & play" (into the 10-pin ignition connector on the EFI Main Harness) and requires a CD
    ignition box (Instructions). The MSD 6201 Digital 6A CDI box & 8253 HVC-2 coil are a great match.
    The MSD CD ignition box is wired as shown in the Holley EFI Wiring Manual:
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual - Figure 11, Page 20)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM7r-DauCak (Holley EFI Dual Sync Distributor - YouTube Tech Video)
    A blank cap (LINK) is available, if the user decides to convert to Coil-Near-Plug/DIS later (no CDI box).
    Of course, this component can also be used as a crank and/or cam sync/oil pump drive unit.

The Custom Ignition Parameters (in System Parameters) for the Holley EFI Dual Sync Distributor:
    Ignition Type ............. ― "Custom"
    Crank Sensor Type ..... ― "1 Pulse/Fire"
    Sensor Type .............. ― "Digital Falling"
    Inductive Delay .......... ― "100.0 usec" ( Synchronization info, adjusted per application.)
    Ignition Reference Angle ― "50°" ( Inherent rotor-phasing of this unit.)
    Cam Sensor Type ........ ― "Single Pulse" ( "Not Used" for TBI, unless CNP ignition.)
    Sensor Type .............. ― "Digital Falling"
    Output Setup Type ..... ― "Points Output" ( CDI box ground trigger.)
    Dwell Time ................. ― "2.0 msec" ( Do not set this to 1.5 msec!)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Thanks andyf. I have not purchased a dual sync distributor yet or a cam sensor. I don't run a belt drive at this time, and was not looking to upgrade to install a cam sensor, so was looking for another option. When I purchased the complete Dominator setup (Aug of 2016) the dual sync distributor was not on my radar. Think I'm going that route. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    For the money you'd spend on a dual sync distributor, I'd purchase a cam sync unit (& keep the MSD crank trigger you have) and install Coil-Near-Plug ignition. Or, still keep the MSD crank trigger and just use the Holley dual sync distributor for the cam sensor.
    Danny, thanks for the input as always. I think I will go with a distributor with a cam sync (Holley or MSD) and use my crank trigger. I like the cap style on the MSD 23451 with a cam sync, this will work, correct? Also, an MSD Grid, the ignition box will work, correct? Thanks for all the input.

Quote Originally Posted by tx434 View Post
    Danny, thanks for the input as always.
    You're welcome.

I think I will go with a distributor with a cam sync (Holley or MSD) and use my crank trigger. I like the cap style on the MSD 23451 with a cam sync, this will work, correct?
    Yes, that MSD distributor will work with you MSD Flying Magnet crank trigger kit.
    You can run an MSD crank trigger kit with Holley's 554-118 Hall-Effect crank sensor.
    Holley's 554-118 direct replacement Hall-Effect crank sensor (¾"-16 threaded sensor):
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10633rev.pdf (Holley 554-118 Instructions)

Also, an MSD Grid, the ignition box will work, correct? Thanks for all the input.
    Yes, some have used Holley EFI with the MSD Power Grid, but that expense is not necessary. If the MSD 7720 Power Grid (alone), works just like their other CD ignition boxes,
    then yes. Does the MSD Power Grid trigger with the "Points Output" (-) loose white wire, or a +5V/+12V (+) wire? You want ECU timing control (from the EFI, not the MSD).

Personally, I would've spent the money (from the MSD Power Grid & distributor) toward converting to Holley's distributorless ignition system or (CNP or DIS). The MSD Power Grid isn't unnecessary.
    I prefer the ECU to control timing (because there are many ECU parameters/features that function off of the timing control), and use the MSD Power Grid/CD ignition box for increased spark energy.
    31x31 Timing Table,
    Idle Spark Control,
    Rev Limiters,
    2-Step Retard,
    General Timing Retards,
    Boost Timing Retards,
    N2O Timing Retards,
    Water/Meth Retards,
    Traction Control Retards,
    Trans Torque Retards,
    Cranking Retard,
    Knock Sensors,
    CTS Modifier,
    IAT Modifier,
    Advanced ICF, etc.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Personally, I would've spent the money (from the MSD Power Grid & distributor) toward converting to Holley's distributorless ignition system or (CNP or DIS). The MSD Power Grid isn't unnecessary.
    I prefer the ECU to control timing (because there are many ECU parameters/features that function off of the timing control), and use the MSD Power Grid/CD ignition box for increased spark energy.
    I'm looking for the best for performance configuration. I have a BBC making 986 HP and have sprayed a 400 shot with my carb setup. So I'm looking to spray 400 plus with a dry kit. I have the 554-111 NOS driver for the progressive on the Dominator. I already had the MSD Grid system, crank trigger & distributor. So with the 558-306 Universal Ignition Harness for the ignition box of the Grid, I will not be able to control timing or any retards? It does have Points Output (white wire).

So what is best for my combo, distributor with dual sync or the CNP or DIS? So what would be best? Thanks.

So what is best for my combo, distributor with dual sync or the CNP or DIS? So what would be best? Thanks.
    Holley's Coil-Near-Plug ignition system.
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...-Dominator-EFI (Related BBC Ignition Forum Thread)

If you already have or you're purchasing a new Holley non-LSx main harness:
    The Holley 558-307 CNP main harness is for Holley's Coil-On-Plug smart coils and LSx ignition coils.
    If using Holley's 556-112 CNP coils, Holley's 558-318 CNP coil sub-harness is also required (or Holley 556-128 CNP V8 Kit).
    For LSx ignition coils, the Holley 558-307 CNP main harness plugs right into the two GM 12579355 CNP sub-harnesses.
    IF you had an LSx main harness, you wouldn't need the Holley 558-307 CNP main harness or the 558-318 CNP coil sub-harness.
    https://www.holley.com/products/igni...nd_components/ (Holley EFI Coil-Near-Plug Ignition Components)
    https://www.holley.com/products/igni.../parts/556-128 (Holley EFI 556-128 Coil-Near-Plug Big Wire V8 Kit)
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/558-117 (Holley EFI 558-117 Universal MPFI Coil-Near-Plug Main Harness)
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/558-118 (Holley EFI 558-118 Ford Universal MPFI Coil-Near-Plug Main Harness)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...3038#post33038 (Detailed Crank Trigger & CNP/DIS Conversion Information & Reasoning)

Reopening this thread. Heard from a reliable nitrous tuner & nitrous source, that the amount of nitrous and the amount of retard most engine are built for, that the CNP route or configuration is not safe for removing timing quickly enough when spraying over 500-600 HP?

I was planning on running a MSD 23451 dual sync distributor, Hall-Effect crank signal with cam sensor. My question is, would it be ideal to run my MSD crank trigger with the Holley #554-118 and use the cam sensor on the MSD 23451 or would it be safe to run the Hall-Effect on the distributor and do away with the crank trigger and 554-118? I’m planning spraying up to 500 HP with a dry kit.

I was planning on running a MSD 23451 dual sync distributor, Hall-Effect crank signal with cam sensor. My question is, would it be ideal to run my MSD crank trigger with the Holley #554-118 and use the cam sensor on the MSD 23451 or would it be safe to run the Hall-Effect in the distributor and do away with the crank trigger and 554-118? I’m planning spraying up to 500 HP with a dry kit.
    Personally, I would install the crank trigger kit, and use only the Hall-Effect cam sync sensor from that MSD distributor.