Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tune "Review"

Question Tune "Review"

I started with a modified version of "Turbo LSx 364ci 850HP 20psi DBW 4L80E" custom tune.
    After some tests due to a no start condition, I tried a System Log. No luck.
    The tests confirmed fuel psi, spark, injector pulse. All checked good. Battery full charged.
    This a new build: 347" iron block, forged rotating, 9.2 CR, Bullet camshaft, ported 317, Victor Jr, FAST 4bbl, 80 lb/hr Deka injectors, BW 400SX3 turbo, truck manifolds.

Once I got the engine to start, by adding Fuel Prime % to 200, I got some serious backfires through the exhaust. This occurred any time I tried to let the engine come to idle. At 1500 & up, there were no backfires. That led me to conclude the idle area on the fuel map was way off. The new tune has had significant fuel added, per Danny's post(s), & other experienced user responses. Due to an oil leak, I shut the run down. I've not tried the new tune. I've attached the tune file. I'd appreciate it, if someone could take a look, and make changes, suggestions, before I attempt another startup. Any questions, please ask. THANKS!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Chuck L.; 01-22-2018 at 09:49 PM.
    Injector Inspector
    USAF 1960-1964
    Drag racing since 1955

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck L. View Post
    Once I got the engine to start, by adding Fuel Prime % to 200, I got some serious backfires through the exhaust. This occurred any time I tried to let the engine come to idle.
    Did the Data Monitor indicate the AFR was too lean or too rich?
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ng-Temperature (Learn/Self-Tuning After Initial Startup)

At 1500 & up, there were no backfires. That led me to conclude the idle area on the fuel map was way off.
    You're probably right. Is this an LSx engine?
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Danny, thanks for the response. The engine is an LS based build. I wasn't able to get a WBO2 reading, as I got the oil issue quickly after the startup.
    I read one of your responses on a no-start thread, about insufficient fuel in the idle area of the Base Fuel Table. I added the values you suggested to this new tune.
    Would you please check the rest of the tune for obvious errors, and correct as you see fit? Anyone else seeing glaring errors, please add your comments, changes.
    Thanks! Chuck
    Injector Inspector
    USAF 1960-1964
    Drag racing since 1955

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck L. View Post
    I read one of your responses on a no-start thread, about insufficient fuel in the idle area of the Base Fuel Table. I added the values you suggested to this new tune. Would you please check the rest of the tune for obvious errors, and correct as you see fit?
    I could do that, but I don't know where you idle at (MAP kPa & RPM). I think a stock LSx engine may require from 5-8 lbs/hr of idle fuel.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

OK. Thanks. I targeted idle at 850 RPM. Pump gas 93 octane.
    The cam is turbo specific, and I've setup the Injector End Angle using the cam card.
    I would think that the kPa would be in the 50+ area.
    I changed the lower fuel map idle cells to 9 lbs/hr, after reading your thread responses.
    Scott also mentioned converting to VE, and doing a block change to 80/100, etc., then going back to the lb/hr values.
    I've not tried that, as I wasn't sure if he meant to change the columns, using RPM as the dividing lines.
    Anyway, I'll get the oil mess fixed and go from there.

EDIT: I revisited the thread I saw about the VE conversion. I did it, and then converted back to #.
    I compared the tune I posted,& the new # values, and see the map is really close to the #'s you suggested.
    Last edited by Chuck L.; 01-24-2018 at 05:40 PM.
    Injector Inspector
    USAF 1960-1964
    Drag racing since 1955

Make sure you're not seeing knock at idle, as you have the knock retard enabled. I turned mine off for initial light throttle tuning. Also, I'd set your boost safety limits a lot lower to start. This saved my engine when I had the wrong wastegate spring the first time out. Here's the tune I'm currently using. It's built from the same base tune you have. My setup is a stock LQ4 with S475 & 120 lb/hr injectors.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Ce187 View Post
    Make sure you're not seeing knock at idle, as you have the knock retard enabled. I turned mine off for initial light throttle tuning. Also, I'd set your boost safety limits a lot lower to start. This saved my engine when I had the wrong wastegate spring the first time out. Here's the tune I'm currently using. It's built from the same base tune you have. My setup is a stock LQ4 with S475 & 120 lb/hr injectors.
    Will do! I changed max boost to 8, and put knock sensors to 0. I have a 7# spring in the wastegate, dome pump is off. I hope that should do it not be accurate, the 8# limit should work. Thanks for the file and the suggestions!
    Last edited by Chuck L.; 01-24-2018 at 05:54 PM.
    Injector Inspector
    USAF 1960-1964
    Drag racing since 1955

CE said, "So I want to duck & cover after saying this, as I can hear Danny saying the engine has to be in good working order first.

I found a burnt spark plug wire & broken wire holder this morning, in 5 minutes of checking things over. Kind of hard to blame that on the EFI system, so I'm hoping all will run excellent afterwards. Also, the plug heat marks on the strap look perfect @ 6.5 PSI, 16°, 10% meth by Fuel Flow. Thanks all.

Just add me to the resident dummy list!
    Got a day to see what's up with this setup.
    Before trying a modified tune, I decided to go over the entire under hood wiring.
    Checked that the injector harnesses were correct. Check.
    Checked the coil harnesses. Driver side is an unmodified factory harness. Just cleaned and re-wrapped.
    Passenger side: Therein lies the issue with the severe backfires.
    The passenger coils are remote mounted with a custom harness, mount bracket.
    I measured the plug wires, and started from the WRONG end of the coil assembly. 2 should be 8, and so on.
    Now, it's remake an expensive set of MSD wires. :O(

Sorry to waste everyone's time and bandwidth! I'll check back once I get it started.
    Last edited by Chuck L.; 02-03-2018 at 01:32 PM.
    Injector Inspector
    USAF 1960-1964
    Drag racing since 1955

Glad you found it. I had to walk away for a day and come back to check the basics. For me, it was over confidence of setting up a couple of these in the past, and in the end the miss in the exhaust alerted me to an ignition issue (old school carb tuning tricks). Checking the plugs to find an issue, uncovered the wire that was burnt. When in doubt step back and check the basics. The Holley stuff is so good, we have to try and not make these cars run.

I've gone over the tune file, added idle fuel per Danny & Scott. The trick with using a VE number, then switching back to lbs/hr works great! The weather & work have prevented a restart. ;O(
    Injector Inspector
    USAF 1960-1964
    Drag racing since 1955