Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desktop Dyno?

Default Desktop Dyno?

I'm wondering if anyone is running one of those programs and be able to give me a idea what sort of power my heep is making?
    Right now, I just have some smogger crate heads @ 76cc to break it in, till I found some better cylinder heads.
    383 SBC
    Sniper EFI
    Performer intake
    Vortec 64 cc heads
    Ram horns with 2˝" pipes with turbo mufflers.
    Running cam straight up.
    700R4 with 4.10 gears & 33 inch tires.

With the smogger heads it pulls pretty good.
    1 set of H860CP30 Speed Pro Pistons Flat Top Approx Compression Ratio (10:1 With 64cc).
    1 SCAT/PBM 2pc Rear Seal Cast Crankshaft 3.750" Stroke.
    1 Set of 2M139.030 Hastings Moly Std Tension Rings.
    1 Set of King CR807SI Rod Bearings.
    1 Set of King MB557SI Main bearings.
    1 Set of Dura-Bond CH8 Cam Bearings.
    1 Fel-Pro 260-1000 Complete Gasket Set.
    1 Melling M55HV High Volume Oil Pump.
    1 PBM 700 Dual Row Timing Set 3 Key.
    1 Erson E110040 Performance Camshaft Hyd. (.465"/.488" Lift 224°/234° at .050 Duration 112° LSA)
    1 Set PBM HA817 Hyd. Lifters.
    1 Set PBM 3000 Hyd. Valve springs (1.250" O.D. 110# @ 1.700" 300# at 1.250" up to .550" lift).
    1 Set PBM 501S Chrome Moly Retainers.
    1 Set PBM 205 7 Deg HD Keepers.
    1 Set Pioneer PE100B Freeze Plugs.

Do you have the flow numbers for the Vortec heads? Are they the true Vortec heads (906 or 062) or the older Vortec heads that were garbage? Any mods to the heads? Valve size? Are you using 1.5 ratio rockers or 1.6? 1.6 will give more lift. Can you provide cam specs as to valve opening & closing? Did you measure the deck height of the pistons, thickness of the head gasket and the combustion chamber volume to calculate the compression ratio? Or are you just going off what the manufacture says? There's usually a difference between what they say, and what you actually come up with if you measure. Head gasket thickness will make a few points difference. If so, post up the numbers and I'll run them through the program for you. My 350 built with 9.75 CR using .015" steel shim head gaskets and slightly modified 906 Vortec heads, came out to 375 HP/425 TQ. So you should be somewhere around there as your cam is similar.
    Last edited by Crusty Old Shellback; 01-11-2018 at 11:44 AM.
    '73 K5 Blazer, built 350 SBC 375 HP/425 TQ, 12" F/18" R suspension travel. Deaver springs with King shocks, D44/12 bolt, 3.73 gears, lunchbox locker F/Auburn Posi R, crossover steering, 35" BFG Mud Terrains, Vintage Air system, PRP suspension seats, lots of custom work, all built by me.

You can use a program from Comp Cams called CamQuest. It has all their cam profiles loaded and a lot of cylinder head flow numbers all ready there for you. Go here and fill out the form and then download it: http://www.compcams.com/downloads/register.asp

Mine are 64cc 906 heads just cut for lift & springs and stock valves ground 1.5 rockers. I'm just going by specs. I didn't put my engine together, my buddy built it for me. I can't find my spec sheet on cam other than what I posted. When I look online at a cam, it seems to be different from site to site, LOL. I've been thinking of reaping cam for a Comp 272 or 274, I think, can't get it on my phone.

Thanks guys. I found cam info. Sorry can't copy/paste it: http://www.pbm-erson.com/UserFiles/D...rds/110040.pdf

OK, running those cam numbers, and the flow of my 906 heads, with a CR of 10:1, and long tube headers with mufflers, I come up with 380 HP at 5000 and 424 TQ at 4000. Your TQ curve about matches mine, 400 + from 2500 to 5000. Hope that helps you.
    '73 K5 Blazer, built 350 SBC 375 HP/425 TQ, 12" F/18" R suspension travel. Deaver springs with King shocks, D44/12 bolt, 3.73 gears, lunchbox locker F/Auburn Posi R, crossover steering, 35" BFG Mud Terrains, Vintage Air system, PRP suspension seats, lots of custom work, all built by me.

Thanks, that's great. I was hoping it be 400 or better, but I guess it is what is it. Goes good with the Mexico crate smogger heads, so it should be a lot better with Vortec heads. I can't wait to get them on and get some warm weather to be able to drive it again. Thanks.

Take a datalog of a WOT full pull run. Look at your injector duty cycle % and figure your HP give or take from that. The Sniper EFI supports somewhere around what? 650 HP? Can't recall exactly. Take 650 or whatever max supported HP of Sniper is, and multiply that by your percentage. Example: Injector duty cycle is 62% at peak in a full WOT pull. 650 x 0.62 = 403 HP approximately.

Quote Originally Posted by Outcrydrummer View Post
    Take a datalog of a WOT full pull run. Look at your injector duty cycle % and figure your HP give or take from that. The Sniper EFI supports somewhere around what? 650 HP? Can't recall exactly. Take 650 or whatever max supported HP of Sniper is, and multiply that by your percentage. Example: Injector duty cycle is 62% at peak in a full WOT pull. 650 x 0.62 = 403 HP approximately.
    Thanks. I would not of thought about doing it that way. I'll have to try that in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Old Shellback View Post
    OK, running those cam numbers, and the flow of my 906 heads, with a CR of 10:1, and long tube headers with mufflers, I come up with 380 HP at 5000 and 424 TQ at 4000. Your TQ curve about matches mine, 400 + from 2500 to 5000. Hope that helps you.
    Think it'd be worth it to swap the camshaft like Comp 268 or 274, or not enough for cost & hassle?

If you know how much fuel you are using in lb/hr, you can get a rough idea of how much horsepower you're making.
    If you do your Base Fuel Table as a VE%, you can see how your torque curve is shaped, as it will follow it pretty well.
    -Scott
    Don't forget to check out progress on my Race Car:
    Project Blasphemy - 8.07 @ 171
    Low 8 Second Street Car

Quote Originally Posted by S2H View Post
    If you know how much fuel you're using in lb/hr, you can get a rough idea of how much horsepower you're making.
    If you do your Base Fuel Table as a VE%, you can see how your torque curve is shaped, as it will follow it pretty well.
    Is there a chart somewhere to show how much horsepower based on fuel usage? Thanks.