Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ECU failure?

Dr_Grip, the datalog shows no loss of RPM signal. I've tested the external power by connecting ignition wiring to battery directly, and it dies the same. I've contacted Holley and sent them the datalog. So far everything points to something in the ECU causing it to power cycle or reset. I'll update when I hear something from Holley.

The Sniper's ground wire is just as important as the power wire. Have you double checked it?

What are you using for your ignition? My friend had a 4-pin HEI module go bad, and it would keep restarting & priming the system anytime the key was on.

I was already there with him. He claims there's no RPM signal problem.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

He is using a dual sync distributor.

Yeah, as I stated in post #6, it's probably not the RPM signal.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Update: I somehow completely overlooked that the time on the datalog was completely nuts.
    Datalog starts at 0 time, obviously, and runs its entirety to 153 seconds when it shuts down, but then there is a second part of the time where it goes to negative 20.
    Holley Techs saw this and suggested RFI. I agreed and thought about any changes I had made...wahla, I'm an idiot. I rerouted plug wires and they are now closer to ECU.

I moved them back and it's now showing normal datalogs. I did have it shut off on the first start after rerouting about 3 seconds into the run and reprime. 2nd start and it idled fine. I captured a new DL file and shut it down after I was convinced it wasn't going to restart on its own.

It may be time to invest in new plug wires, currently running Ford Racing 8.8mm wires. Will probably get the MSD 9mm or Taylor, and cut them to length in order to route as far from the ECU as I can. I'm also contemplating creating an RFI shield attached to the bottom of the breather base that will not show when installed. Possibly just make a cheap thick l shape wedge of aluminum foil and tape it in place to see if it does provide shielding when I move plug wires closer. Man, us Ford guys got it hard these days.

Danny on a side note, could I improve idle vacuum stability by using a fixed orifice PCV? I currently run the standard variable PCV running back to intake and opposite side venting to atmosphere with a standard breather cap. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Outcrydrummer View Post
    Danny on a side note, could I improve idle vacuum stability by using a fixed orifice PCV? I currently run the standard variable PCV running back to intake and opposite side venting to atmosphere with a standard breather cap. Thanks.
    You'll just have to try it & see. It only costs 99˘ (LINK), and very easy to replace.

Fair enough, ha ha.

10. Default

I'm running this fixed PCV valve and it seems to work well. The price is right too.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1