Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAF Question

Default MAF Question

I know this is unbelievably rookie, but I have to ask. I just purchased an HP EFI system for my currently MAF '90 Fox body Mustang. Iíve been reading through everything I can, and havenít really figured out what you do with the MAF sensor thatís in the car now? Since Iím installing a MAP sensor, does the MAF sensor get removed or will I leave it in the cold air just unplugged? Thanks in advance!!!

Yes, remove the MAF sensor. Holley EFI is a Speed Density EFI system only (MAP sensor).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

If it's easier to leave it in place, that is fine. It will just be there physically because it's part of your intake tubing.
    It just won't have anything plugged into it, as the Holley comes with a stand-alone IAT/MAT sensor for you to use.

I thought of that too, but he asked if he should remove it, so it seems like an option for him. Personally, I'd hate to leave a non-functioning MAF sensor installed.
    https://lmr.com/item/BBK-1558/1986-8...r-Non-Mass-Air (BBK Adapter for Speed Density EFI)

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

OK, thank you. For now I'll leave the MAF until I get it all setup & running. I need to ask one more question. Reading through the Ford IAC wiring thread is a little confusing to me. For confirmation. I want to use the Holley 550-606 HP EFI ECU & Harness Kit with its Chrysler style connector for the IAC. So I need to order Standard Motor Products AC416 IAC motor and the adapter installation plate for my throttle body. This will be a direct plug & play for my '90 5.0L Fox body? Thanks again, I think this is the last thing I need to make sure I understand!

Quote Originally Posted by jreyn View Post
    I want to use the Holley 550-606 HP EFI ECU & Harness Kit with its Chrysler style connector for the IAC.
    Yes, that's wired for the Chrysler IAC motor.

So I need to order Standard Motor Products AC416 IAC motor and the adapter installation plate for my throttle body.
    Yes, if you're converting it to the 4-wire stepper type IAC motor.

This will be a direct plug & play for my '90 5.0L Fox body?
    I don't understand what the "plug & play" IAC motor has to do with your '90 5.0L Fox body?

I just mean if I purchase that IAC and install it on the adapter plate, all I do is plug in the Holley EFI harness and move on with the rest of the installation? That's all I need to order to finish that job?

Yes, the Chrysler 4-wire stepper IAC motor is "plug & play" into the Holley EFI main harness. In other words, that's what it's wired for.

Danny, thank you for your help! I'm probably 3/4 through the installation on the car and now starting to build my EFI software (Global File). I have a question on the ignition that I can't understand through the Help files.
    I'm running a TFI ignition, the factory Ford setup. However, I'm also running the MSD 6AL CD box. Will I be selecting Ford TFI or CD Box Tach Output under Ignition Type? They both fit the description of options to use?

Quote Originally Posted by jreyn View Post
    I'm running a TFI ignition, the factory Ford setup. However, I'm also running the MSD 6AL CD box. Will I be selecting Ford TFI or CD Box Tach Output under Ignition Type?
    Select "Ford TFI 8 Cylinder (SEFI)", with or without a CD ignition box.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual - Figure 5 & 6, Page 14 & 15)

They both fit the description of options to use?
    No, the "CD Box Tach Output or any 12V Square Wave (No Timing Control)" is a non-ECU timing control application.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast