Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Excessive battery voltage, TPS floating & rich fuel.

Next time it's doing this high voltage fault, try removing the alternator belt to see if it continues to run properly.
    FYI: It's not safe to run an alternator with the wiring disconnected; remove the alternator belt (safe alternator test).
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...0251#post50251 (Related Forum Thread)
    http://www.pvv.org/~syljua/merc/TooSeptST07.pdf (Alternator AC Ripple Voltage Test)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I did run two datalogs with the belt pulled. One datalog had a minimum voltage of 10.2 volts at cranking, and max 12.5 volts with an average of 12.2 volts ("Log 1"). The next datalog had a minimum of 10.1 at cranking and max of 11.9 volts with an average of 11.7 volts ("Log 2").

You can see the differential without the belt hooked up, which is roughly the same as when the alternator is running. Interesting thing is, in "Log 1", the car idled rich with the TPS floating between 1-2% at idle. In "Log 2", the car idled at 0% TPS and normal AFR. Even though these two voltage readings are much lower than with the belt ON, the voltage differential in these two datalogs was enough to make the system act the same way as it does with the voltage differential with the alternator belt on. I'm also getting false TPS RoC & MAP RoC readings. Negative numbers.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Log 2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	2737 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Log 1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	2736
    Last edited by 66FSTBK; 12-25-2017 at 12:54 AM.

For further assistance, post your Global File and a short datalog of this occurrence for us to analyze.
    Also, review the datalog and inform us of exactly where in the datalog (time/seconds) the problem occurs.
    Datalog & Global Files must be linked to a document hosting website. I use Dropbox.com.
    Files can also be "zipped" (compressed zipped folder) & attached directly to a forum post.
    Your Global File is in the "Documents", "Holley", "HEFI V4", "Global Files" folder (.hefi file).
    Someone will analyze/troubleshoot the problem & offer advice. Also, ensure all this is right:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read Steps #1-#6!)

Quick Datalogger Information:
    Always provide data, not just symptoms. Is the AFR & ignition timing optimized? Overlay the datalog onto your Global File.
    Ensure the Target A/F Ratio table is properly programmed for your engine. Ensure the ECU is "Learning" (Learn Table LINK).
    Scroll through the datalog to the problem area. Then look exactly where this happens on the Base Fuel & Timing Tables. Scrutinize:
    RPM, MAP, MAT, TPS, CTS, IAC, Target AFR, AFR Left, CL Comp, Ignition Timing, Duty Cycle, Fuel Flow, Fuel Pressure & Battery.

Using the Holley EFI software (LINK), look at where the live cursor moves to during this occurrence, and
    manually tune that area of the Base Fuel Table (enrich or lean) & Base Timing Table (optimize ignition timing).

I find the most helpful datalog function, is overlaying the datalog on your Global File.
    I'm in the habit of using the datalog Overlay feature every time I review a datalog.
    Click on "Datalog" (on the top Toolbar), "Activate Overlay", then "Open Data Log".
    You can literally "playback" a recorded event, and watch it as it happened on any screen.
    Minimize (shrink) the datalog window, and move it to the bottom of any Global File screen.
    Then click & scroll anywhere on the datalog, and watch it playback on your Global File (EFI software).
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...9r10543rev.pdf (Holley EFI Datalogger Instructions)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...s-amp-Datalogs (Datalog & System Log Information - Read "NOTES")
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqHO...C6FEA0BB99AF17 (How To Record & Email A Datalog)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...7531#post77531 (Closed Loop Datalog Tuning - Posts #2, #4 & #6)

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I've attached my current Global File in V4. You'll see two datalog folders in the Dropbox. The "good start" datalog was with the same Global File, but in V3. The V4 datalog file contains three starts and one idle. All of those runs were poor with excessive voltage readings on handheld. All of the rich idling starts immediately. You can see the excessive voltage too. Thank you to everyone for their help and Merry Christmas!
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nnpom8zcc...DrccMhlka?dl=0

Please keep this simple with just two files. Please attach your current V4 Global File and one V4 datalog that contains the problem.

I deleted one datalog zip folder. There's only one Global File and please just use datalog ending in 003. Sorry, I don’t have access to a computer right now to delete datalogs.
    Last edited by 66FSTBK; 12-25-2017 at 11:27 AM.

That Global File name states V2 and the ECU has never Learned (Learn Table all zeroes)? Don't you have a current V4 Global File & datalog with the engine running at normal operating temperature?

It should be V4, but I’ll double check. That’s the one I pulled from the ECU. I was not able to drive it under the circumstances because the IAC would hang and it was undriveable.

Yeah, and in that datalog, it was running between 9-11:1 AFR.

That is the issue. As a result of this voltage/TPS issue, it runs rich.