Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeep 4.7L stroker, need some help.

Default Jeep 4.7L stroker, need some help.

I'm building a 4.7L fuel injected stroker for my '90 model Jeep that currently has a 4.2 carbureted engine. I would like to use a stand-alone ECU, as opposed to the factory one. I could really use some help. Has anybody used an HP EFI with a Jeep engine?

Start here: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read Steps #1-#6!)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Cool beans. I have homework.

I've asked on a couple Jeep stroker Facebook groups about stand-alone ECUs. The overwhelming response was to use a MegaSquirt3. I was surprised that no one in that community has experience using a Holley EFI ECU. Hopefully this community has experience with a Jeep engine.

What matters more, is that you are knowledgeable about your engine details.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I talked to the tuner that I'll be paying to tune this, if I fail at figuring it out. He likes the Holley ECUs opposed to other options out there. Decision is made.

I'm trying to determine what wiring harness that I need. I have two donor 4.0L engine wiring harnesses in the shed on top of one of the donor engines. I want to rework those harnesses and build one for the new ECU. I will have to build the ignition & fuel injector harnesses anyway, so building a complete harness is not that much harder in my opinion. I have been, unsuccessfully, looking for the part number of the two big connectors that plug into the ECU. Do you know what that connector is?

http://forums.holley.com/showthread....als-Holley-EFI (Holley EFI ECU Connectors & Terminals)

You're fast like a ninja! I just found that post maybe a minute ago, and was going to remove my request for the information.

LOL! You're welcome, and thanks for the compliment.
    You may or may not be interested in this: Holley 550-605 HP EFI ECU & Harness Kit (Unterminated Universal Harness).

I purchased 554-113 (just the ECU), 554-101 (Bosch WBO2 sensor) & 534-199 (WBO2 sensor extension cable). I'll order the two big connectors to plug into the ECU from Mouser most likely. I think I already have the crimping tool from another project. My two donor harnesses, the WBO2 extension cable, and the two connectors should give me a custom harness. I bought the WBO2 extension cable because the factory harness is only a narrowband. I thought about the Unterminated Universal Harness Kit, but it just seems wasteful. I have two complete donor engines with all sensors & wiring. I only need to add the WBO2 sensor to what I already have.

I'm not sure I'm understanding what I need to drive ignition coils. I would appreciate some verification.
    The engine currently has this coil (LINK), which is the factory option. I'm not a fan because it's a Coil-On-Plug.

This is my current plan. I like having plug wires because it makes everything easier. The factory coil rail can be a pain for various reasons.
    This version is verified to work with the factory Jeep ECM (LINK), so I expect that it's electrically identical to the factory rail style.

I think both of these options are "dumb" coils, and will not work with the Holley ECU.
    I think I need to add a coil driver between the ECU and the coil (LINK).
    Last edited by Jeep4.7; 12-16-2017 at 06:40 PM.