Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Timing control with GM large cap HEI.

I've got a vacuum advance lockout kit. Just wondering how he set it up to adjust it where he needs it. Maybe when I pull the distributor, it will become more clear.
    Hope to start on that project next weekend, depending on if I get my other three projects completed: house water filter system install, replace the K5 alternator again and figure out why they keep burning up, figure out the code in the '04 Chevy truck and what it takes to fix it (probably the O2 sensor), but trying to figure out which one.
    '73 K5 Blazer, built 350 SBC 375 HP/425 TQ, 12" F/18" R suspension travel. Deaver springs with King shocks, D44/12 bolt, 3.73 gears, lunchbox locker F/Auburn Posi R, crossover steering, 35" BFG Mud Terrains, Vintage Air system, PRP suspension seats, lots of custom work, all built by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Old Shellback View Post
    Maybe when I pull the distributor, it will become more clear.
    Yes, it will be. Start with the vacuum advance lockout kit installed. Then you'll need to run the engine, synchronize the idle timing by turning the distributor, tighten the hold-down bolt, then check rotor-phasing to see how much you need to shorten/lengthen the vacuum advance link arm.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

OK thanks. Got my three projects complete. So unless the new cats for the wife's truck come in this week, I'll be tearing into it this weekend and will report back how it goes.
    '73 K5 Blazer, built 350 SBC 375 HP/425 TQ, 12" F/18" R suspension travel. Deaver springs with King shocks, D44/12 bolt, 3.73 gears, lunchbox locker F/Auburn Posi R, crossover steering, 35" BFG Mud Terrains, Vintage Air system, PRP suspension seats, lots of custom work, all built by me.

So I got the distributor out. I locked out the mechanical advance with a plate I bought. I aligned the reluctor points and aligned the rotor more towards what would be the low degree side if the cap and pined the reluctor to the vacuum block out plate. Basically "phasing" the rotor so that as it sweeps from 15° to 40°, it is aligned with the cap puck up points. Got the cap wiring modified and I'm ready to install the distributor. So I have the engine set at 15° before TDC. So if I understand right, I stab the distributor and align the reluctor points up, and make sure the rotor is pointed at #1 correct? Basically the same as stabbing any distributor and setting the base timing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171229_105524495.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	2743 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171229_123114496.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	2744 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171229_123141831.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	2745

Correct. Make sure to set the Reference Angle in a way that fits your physical distributor position. See this post: http://www.chevelles.com/forums/89-e...nce-angle.html

Well after a little screw up on my part, which took some major work and a day to figure out, I got everything together. By some stupid fault of mine, I got the distributor gear on upside down after modifying the distributor. Long story, but I wound up dropping the cross member, oil pan and oil pump trying to get the distributor to go in before I figured it out.
    Anyways, it's all together, I started a new Config File with timing control, and set the basic setup. But I can't get any fire. Tomorrow I'm going to double check and make sure I didn't get the distributor in 180° out. Anything else I should look at as far as setup? The plug I used for the magnetic pickup was keyed, as far as which wire went on which post. Or does it really matter since it's just a switch?

If it's backwards, the timing would be really advanced and will run rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Old Shellback View Post
    Anyways, it's all together, I started a new Config File with timing control, and set the basic setup. But I can't get any fire. Tomorrow I'm going to double check and make sure I didn't get the distributor in 180° out.
    Is the ignition timing synchronized? When the Cranking Timing is correct (synchronized), the timing at idle will be too.
    If you're cranking the engine (with the injector harness disconnected), sync at 15° or whatever your Cranking Timing is.
    If you're idling the engine (without disconnecting anything), sync at 25° or whatever your idle timing on your Timing Table is.

Anything else I should look at as far as setup? The plug I used for the magnetic pickup was keyed, as far as which wire went on which post. Or does it really matter since it's just a switch?
    Originally Posted by MSD Tech Bulletin
    If you’re not sure about the polarity of the pickup you are using, there is a simple test you can perform by checking the engine’s timing.
    Check the timing with the pickup wires connected one way, then swap the wires and check the timing again. You will notice that the
    timing changes significantly and may appear very erratic. The correct connection depends on the ignition control that is being used.

Analog: If using an analog controlled MSD 6A, 6T or 6AL series, SCI series, 7AL series, MSD 8 or 10 or Blaster Ignition, the correct connection is when the timing is retarded.

Digital: If using an MSD Digital-6 or Digital-7 Plus, or the Programmable Digital-7 Ignition Controls, the correct connection is when the timing is more advanced.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

OK, double checked static and the distributor is in correct. Double checked all wiring and looks correct. Cranked the engine while looking at the timing light and I have no light, I.E., no spark. I looked at the voltage on the green & purple plug. I got 1.1 volts on the purple wire and nothing on the green, which should be correct, other than maybe the voltage level. Any ideas? Engine was running fine before I decided to go to timing control.
    I'm using a ProComp distributor. I removed the ignition conditioning module out of it, and used a MSD wire harness to plug the magnetic pickup into the green/purple plug on the Sniper EFI. Pink power wire is tied in with the pink power wire of the Sniper EFI system. I have 12 volts going to the coil, and the gray wire of the coil driver module going to the ground on the coil.
    Last edited by Crusty Old Shellback; 12-31-2017 at 12:41 PM.

This is exactly why I posted the two links in post #2 above.