Thread: Holley 553-122 CAN Speedometer

Default Holley 553-122 CAN Speedometer

I have a Holley 553-122 CAN Speedometer along with a CAN Tachometer, oil pressure & water temperature gauge. I have a Holley 554-130 Gauge Module plugged into a Holley Terminator Stealth Kit.

I wired in a Hall-Effect speed sensor to the ECU, the signal feeds into Input #4. What's the best way to setup the speedometer input so the CAN Speedo will see the signal? Should I load the Transmission ICF? Or just make a custom channel in the I/O ICF?

I've used the HP EFI software to make some changes to the base tune. The combo has a Holley Dual Sync Distributor, and the thermostatic fans use the +12V switches Outputs to trigger the relays.
    Last edited by BLN355; 11-30-2017 at 01:52 PM.

Which Terminator Stealth Kit do you have (LINK)? The one with the HP or Dominator ECU? Although, I think it only involves the Transmission ICF, if it's an electronic transmission application.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I have the 550-441 Terminator Stealth Kit that uses an HP ECU.

I'm not familiar with these CAN gauges, so you might have to contact Holley Tech Service (LINK). However, I think your custom Hall-Effect VSS ECU Input must be named "Speed", in order for it recognize the correct data channel. Is there any programming setup involved with this CAN Speedometer? (I hope you weren't supposed to purchase the Holley GPS Speedometer LINK.)

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I thought it would be easier to use the speedometer signal from a VSS hooked to my ECU, than a GPS for the speedometer, as I can use the VSS for other features like control of thermostatic fans on the highway. I can see the speed signal at the ECU and on the handheld controller. The instructions for the speedometer as basically plug it in and power it up. I've logged it with Holley Tech. I'm starting to think it would work more so, if I had a Dominator ECU with a 4L60E or the like.

Quote Originally Posted by BLN355 View Post
    I've logged it with Holley Tech.
    Let us know what they say.

I'm starting to think it would work more so, if I had a Dominator ECU with a 4L60E or the like.
    The ECU shouldn't matter. It states, "These gauges are compatible with all Terminator, HP, Dominator & Sniper ECUs, allowing them to be installed in a variety of Holley EFI equipped vehicles."