Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sensor Warning - Boost PSIG?

Default Sensor Warning - Boost PSIG?

Hi. I'm having some idling issues (can't get below 950 RPM) and trying to figure out what's going on. I can't find any info on what this warning is. I did a search on here too. What's PSIG?

Quote Originally Posted by schweigert View Post
    Hi. I'm having some idling issues (can't get below 950 RPM) and trying to figure out what's going on.
    It's not your idle problem. Ensure the idle speed screw/IAC Position relationship is correct (5%-10% IAC Position at hot idle).

What's PSIG?
    It's a unit of measure (beyond vacuum) for a forced induction engine. It stands for Pounds per Square Inch Gauge.
    The Caution & Warning (background colored) indications can be customized on the 3.5" TSLCD touchscreen gauges.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_199r10751.pdf (Holley 553-108 3.5" LCD Touchscreen Instruction Manual, Page 29)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

It is showing a vacuum instead of boost (like it should for a normally aspirated engine). Did you change anything when you set this up? Like the warning parameters? Boost isn't a default PID AFAIK?
    EDIT: Danny treed me again ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
    It is showing a vacuum instead of boost (like it should for a normally aspirated engine). Did you change anything when you set this up? Like the warning parameters? Boost isn't a default PID AFAIK?
    EDIT: Danny treed me again ;-)
    Thanks for the help guys! I assumed it was something to do with EFI, but since it was showing an error, I wanted to check it out. I didn't change any settings or warning parameters, but I dropped off my car to my mechanic to replace some broken mounts, and when I got it back he had changed the fan setting to come on at 220°F, and also removed the vacuum advance hose from the Pertronix III distributor to the Holley!!! So I'm wondering if this is his doing. I've played around with the idle screw every which way to Sunday, but I can't get the butterflies closed enough to idle at the right speed (unless I exert some force on the throttle the opposite way).

There is an air path controlled by the Sniper that adjusts the idle. If IAC is incorrect, you can't adjust the idle down at the butterflies. I'd start with re calibrating that (page 11) and maybe double check all the mechanics "handy work". http://documents.holley.com/199r11193.pdf
    Last edited by Zmann; 11-14-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Got it. I think I'm just gonna factory reset the whole system. I have 1,000 miles on it, but I think it Learned some bad habits along the way. Thanks!

Resetting the Sniper EFI won't set the idle speed screw/IAC Position relationship (5%-10% IAC Position at hot idle). This is a manual adjustment performed with a flat tip screwdriver at hot idle.

Sniper EFI Idle Setting/Throttle Blade Setting (Holley Sniper EFI Quick Start Manual):
    Once the engine is up to operating temperature, the idle speed can be set to what was configured in the Wizard.
    To do this, open up the Initial Startup gauge screen that was used in section 17.0. With the vehicle in neutral,
    adjust the idle screw until the IAC Position reads between 2 and 10%. While adjusting the screw, if the TPS
    Position reads begins to read higher than 0%, cycling the ignition switch will recalibrate the TPS back to zero.
    NOTE: Do not attempt to set the target idle speed and IAC position until the engine is above 160°F!
    http://documents.holley.com/199r11193.pdf (Holley Sniper EFI Quick Start Manual - "Idle Setting/Throttle Plate Setting", Page 11)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...-Idle-Solution! (Sniper EFI High Idle Thread)

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

So I went & tried to adjusted the IAC Position with the screw by the throttle. I was at 0% before, all the way out, and getting an average idle of 900, but adjusting that till it reads 2% it goes above 1800 RPM. Should I really leave it that high? Will it Learn to go down?
    Last edited by schweigert; 11-14-2017 at 08:48 PM.

It should be closer to the target if everything is set properly.

Quote Originally Posted by schweigert View Post
    Should I really leave it that high? Will it Learn to go down?
    No, the ECU doesn't Learn the idle RPM. It sounds like you're activating the IAC Hold Position.

* Initial Baseline Idle Speed Screw Setting *
    Sometimes the throttle blades are so far off adjustment, turning the idle speed screw triggers the IAC Hold Position.
    If this happens, the throttle blades will require a baseline setting without the IAC valve altering this adjustment.
    This must be accomplished with the engine at hot idle. Be careful of dangerous fan and belt driven components.
    With the air filter previously removed, block off the IAC air inlet port with your finger or a strong piece of tape.
    While temporarily ignoring the IAC Position, adjust the idle speed screw to the Target Idle Speed RPM (in Idle ICF).
    Turn engine off (remove tape). With the key-on/engine-off, perform a TPS Autoset. Cycle key off & restart engine.
    Now only a minute adjustment will be required to achieve an IAC Position of about 5%. Perform a final TPS Autoset.
    (The Sniper EFI TPS Autoset is performed by simply cycling the ignition key off/on.)