Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HR-580-VS flooding?

Default HR-580-VS flooding?

350 Chevy with small cam, 350 transmission. I had the floats set right in the middle of sight glass and fuel poured into secondaries. Fuel pressure was to high at 9 psi. I thought that was why it flooded. I got fuel pressure under control at 6.5 psi and lowered float level to bottom of sight glass. I drove and primary bowl filled over sight glass and started dripping into carb. I drained bowl and lowered float again. I don't understand why float level seems to be increasing with 6.5 psi of fuel pressure. I found that a guy with a similar issue discovered his his vent tube was clogged. I'm going to try to clean that out, but don't know what to do otherwise.

I had problems recently with bad o-rings on the needle & seat, causing both bowls to overflow no matter what setting the float was at. I ended up replacing the needle & seats with some old ones I had and that fixed the problem. I would check to make sure the o-rings are not flattened.

I replaced the needle & seat today. In the garage, it's not flooding, but it never has if it's not actually driving. I'm trying to set the fuel pressure now. Quick Fuel said 6.5 psi and I guess I should listen to them, but I'm a little gun shy after all the flooding. I really hope this corrects my issue and allows me to drive my truck again.

Default Fuel Pressure Setting

I'm setting my fuel pressure and I believe I have this, but want to check since I haven't done anything with a carb for a long time. I warmed up the engine and turned the pressure regulator until it sat on 6 psi. I then revved the engine a bit and let it settle back down to see what happened to the pressure. Since I've had some flooding, I'm worried about the bowls filling again. The pressure stayed in the right neighborhood, but the sight glasses moved around more than I expected. They're set right at the bottom of the glass and after some revving, it went up to about 2/3 of the sight glass but dropped back down after idling for a moment. I assume I set the pressure & float level at idle, and don't worry about what happens to it as it runs, because the manufacture took that into account when they told us what psi & float level to set it at. Anyone agree or disagree? I'm just sick of the flooding and probably being ridiculous about it.

May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Also, if you have a liquid filled gauge, they are affected by heat. If they are close to the engine they will show a lower pressure when hot.

https://aeromotiveinc.com/frequently...fi-regulators/ (Aeromotive EFI Fuel Pressure Regulator FAQs - Read Question #7!)
    http://aeromotiveinc.com/wp-content/..._Gauges_01.pdf (Aeromotive Tech Bulletin 903 - Liquid Filled vs Dry, The Problem & Solution)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Thanks for the replies guys. I watched the videos you posted. I had already watched most of them trying to find a plain answer, but didn't get one. I set the pressure at idle with the engine warm, and then just let it be. Correct? That's what I did. I set it at 6 psi.

It seems like you set it right. I was just suggesting that if the fuel pressure reads lower when hot, you might want to adjust the pressure to 6 psi when the engine is cool (if you have a liquid filled gauge).

I have a dry mechanical gauge. Thank you for clarifying that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast