Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Online Training

I wish I had seen this a year ago. I feel fairly comfortable now with my tuning, but I had a lot of trial & error and a lot of asking dumb questions. There's a lot of stuff in setup and in tuning, that once you do it or seen it done, you get the "oh duh...", or "I never would of thought of that feeling".

I haven’t installed the Dominator into my car yet, but I wanted to know as much about the system as I could before it was installed. I've had the luxury of attending the factory training and more recently took the online training. Both were great sources. The online course has the distinct advantage of allowing someone to learn in the comfort of their own home and on their own schedule. The courses offer someone new to EFI a chance to see how the system is laid out as well as how to navigate it. The methodical approach to creating a tune is also an invaluable tool for someone new to the system. One other item that I believe is worth noting. I currently have a different EFI system on my car. While it functions okay, it doesn’t have anywhere near the capability of the Holley. But the biggest thing I struggle with is the lack of support. That is a huge factor in why I want to convert my car. Having forums like this as well as the training, both online & factory, is an amazing benefit.

I'm pretty new to fuel injection. I got my Holley HP EFI Kit in the mail and once installed wasn't exactly sure what to do. The online training was pretty thorough, especially if you're new. It went over just about everything you would need to know to get up & going. Rich was exceptionally quick, thorough & patient even with some of my silly questions. I recommend the training to anyone that's looking for a one stop shop to learning the basics and then some.

I've had the Holley EFI software for a while now just playing around with it, and doing a lot of reading while I'm currently in the process of wiring my car. I found this tutorial to be very informative, and it definitely expanded on areas where I had some questions, and helped reinforce other areas I felt I understood. After I get my car up & running here soon and get the tune dialed in, I would be interested in some more advanced items like the Injector End Angle tuning and maybe some Advanced Table usage if that would be covered in a next level tutorial.

I would like to also thank all the contributors here who help build the wealth of knowledge that is on this board. It has made the task of self learning this EFI software much simpler, enjoyable and I feel confident in the base startup tune for my setup. Happy New Year & thanks again.

I'm working on a separate training session that covers the Advanced ICF, Injector End Angle tuning & Turbo boost control. The boost control is taking longer than I expected, so I may do the Advanced ICF & Injector End Angle separate.

It would be nice to include "actual usage", so we can see what's going on in real time. Even if it's just a starting point, I think it would be helpful to all. Class is still beneficial. I'm going to the next phase and installing my new Dual Sync Distributor in my engine. That's going to be another small learning curve.

That's a good point. I'll add a real time screen or two where you can watch the "live cursor" move around, while monitoring the vitals on the Data Monitor. I don't do that in the actual group class until the end of the day, because until you're used to the screen layout it can appear confusing, but it would be nice to see that in the training as well. We'll add that.

Quote Originally Posted by weendoggy View Post
    It would be nice to include "actual usage", so we can see what's going on in real time. Even if it's just a starting point, I think it would be helpful to all.
    Quote Originally Posted by fastmanefi View Post
    That's a good point. I'll add a real time screen or two where you can watch the "live cursor" move around, while monitoring the vitals on the Data Monitor.
    This should be top priority when connected Online with the ECU. The live cursor indicates exactly where the engine is operating on every table. Even when reviewing an Overlaid datalog (see post #5 above).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

The datalogger screen (#96) I guess was not enough to show real time activity, so I just released an update to this training that shows the datalogger after some modifications and playing the engine running in real time.

Quote Originally Posted by fastmanefi View Post
    That's a good point. I'll add a real time screen or two where you can watch the "live cursor" move around, while monitoring the vitals on the Data Monitor. I don't do that in the actual group class until the end of the day, because until you're used to the screen layout it can appear confusing, but it would be nice to see that in the training as well. We'll add that.
    If you add the explanation of what the cursor is doing (bouncing between cells at steady load points), I.E. rich/lean, etc., that would be helpful to those starting out. I've found the "live" screen and datalog has been beneficial to tuning my engine. Basically we have a rolling dyno.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast