Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dakota Digital BIM-01-02-HLLY CAN Bus Adapter

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    The Holley Dominator ECU does have two CAN Bus channels (the 2nd is on the J3 connector).
    CAN1 is on the J1 connector and CAN2 is on the J3 connector ("View Fixed" on Pin Map).
    You can connect more than one CAN Bus device to the ECU (see "CAN Bus" in Basic I/O).
    The Dominator CAN Bus Type 1 can be set to "Holley Standard" (for a Holley touchscreen unit),
    and the CAN Bus Type 2 can be set to "Racepak" (for the Dakota Digital BIM Interface Module).
    I just spent a couple hours trying this and no luck! I have the Handheld in CAN1 (off the main Dominator harness) and CAN2 plugged into the Dakota BIM to allow my VHX to produce oil/temp & speedo, won't work! I plugged in the laptop and configured the CAN1/CAN2 outputs as directed above, but it cancels the saved tune on my handheld and defaults to the factory tune. I called Holley Tech and spent a very long time on the phone for them to finally tell me that you can't run both the handheld and the BIM. Thoughts?
    Last edited by mycalew; 02-17-2018 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Data upload irrelevant

UPDATE: I spoke with Dakota & Holley again. Turns out on the Terminator with Transmission control (which is the Dominator ECU), there are two CAN ports on the main harness. Not sure if this is the case on the ECU without transmission control.

After playing around with the CAN1/CAN2 drop downs, and setting CAN1 to Racepak and CAN2 to HOLLEY, I then connected the BMI to CAN1 and bingo! That is what needed to be done to make it communicate. However, after doing this, the handheld no longer will receive communications via CAN2 from the ECU and essentially will not give you any data, it displays a comm error.

My Water Temp & Oil Pressure display on the VHX now, but I still can't get the Speedo to communicate. I will do another form search for that, but I have the transmission tab on the laptop set to enable output and I messed with the PPM from 2000-5000 with no luck.

I found this following post. It makes sense if I were using I/O settings on J3 with the wiring kit, but do I need to do the same in the Transmission I/O tab?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    I only have a VSS Input (MPH displayed on Data Monitor, Datalogger, Gauge Panel & Digital Dash). This is how to enable the Speedometer Output (PPM - pulses per mile):
    Upload the Transmission ICF and check mark "Speedometer Output Enable".
    Enter the correct Speed Calculation parameters (Tire Diameter & Rear Gear Ratio).
    You'll also need to select the "Speedo" Output Type PWM+/− in the Inputs/Outputs screen.
    This creates a +12V square wave Output that can be used to trigger an electronic speedometer.
    The "Speedo" Output must be Pin Mapped to an available "P+" or "P−" pin on Connector J1(B), J2(B) or J3.
    I realize the Transmission ICF Speedometer Output is displayed as PWM+/− (depending on the Output Type
    selected in the Inputs/Outputs screen), but the ECU outputs this as a +12V square wave "Speedo" signal.
    This is a Pulses Per Mile output signal, not PWM+/−. Pin Map the Output & connect it to your speedometer.

The Transmission ICF receives the VR Magnetic/IPU VSS signal on pin B18 of the J4 ECU connector. A Hall-Effect speed sensor
    won't work with the Transmission ICF. ECU pin B18-J4 accepts an "F" (Frequency/Digital Speed) and "S" (Inductive Speed)
    type Input. However, it's hard-coded as an "S" type Input, when the Transmission ICF is uploaded. For non-electronic
    transmissions, you don't necessarily need the Holley 558-404 J4 Auxiliary Harness kit, but without it, you'd have to purchase
    the J4 Connector, wiring & ECU terminals separately (LINK). The Holley 558-404 J4 Auxiliary Harness kit is everything you
    need, and also provides wiring access to one Sensor +5V Out & one Sensor Ground.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibrary199r10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual - Pin-Outs, Page 8)
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibrary199r10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual - Figure 28/29, Page 41)

http://forums.holley.com/showthread....0291#post30291 (Speedometer Output Info - Dominator ECU/Transmission ICF)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I guess what I’m not understanding is that if I purchased the Dakota BIM module for the Holley application to control the dash, why do I still need to run a leader wire from the ECU to the Dakota Digital module? Isn’t the BIM supposed to take care of that like it does for the oil, water, AFR, boost, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by mycalew View Post
    ...why do I still need to run a leader wire from the ECU to the Dakota Digital module?
    You don't. You're wiring the transmission VSS signal wire to the Dominator ECU, so it has vehicle speed data ("Speed" channel) to transmit to the Dakota Digital module.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Ahh! Got it, thanks Danny!

You're welcome. Now the link from post #14 should make more sense.

Can someone please verify these settings are correct to enable the Dakota BIM to receive info from the Holley CAN Bus. I can get accurate oil & water, but not speedometer readings. Thanks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	can bus.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	2853 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trans setup.jpg 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	2855 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	out puts.jpg 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	2856 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inputs.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	2857 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trans output.jpg 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	2858

The guys at Dakota sent me these screen shots from another Holley user. Note the user is using a different version than I am has "Speedo" labeled as an input on A12 and I have "Speedo" labeled as an output in B12. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get speedometer as an input. When I click in transmission settings and click to enable speed output, it defaults the Pin Map to outputs, not inputs. Thanks for any help on this!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed[1].jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	2859 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed[1].jpg 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	2860 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed[2].jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	2861

Here are the instructions with the BIM for Pin Mapping the input from Dakota Digital:
    "EFI Speed Input
    This module is programmed to monitor the standard MPH data broadcasted on the Holley EFI. It can also be set up to monitor Input #1 (pin A12) on the Holley EFI harness for speed (F). To enable Input #1 speed monitoring, you must enable the SPD (Speed) option through the setup menu. With the unit off, press & hold the button on the BIM. Cycle the ignition to the on position then release the button. Press & release the button until INP (Input) is displayed. Press & hold to enter the menu. Press & release the button until SPD is shown. Press & hold to select."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trans outputs.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	2854  

I just heard that Dakota Digital released a new version of the BIM-01-2-HLLY, that's available with a Y-Connector that will allow it to work in parallel with the Sniper EFI 3.5" TSLCD. This applies to BIM-01-2-HLLY produced after 2/18/2018.

I have not verified this for myself, but understand it to be the case. You might want to reconfirm before making a purchase decision based on that.
    Chris Myer
    800-880-0960 x654
    chris@EFISystemPro.com

Check our website for live stock status on all Holley items!
    www.EFISystemPro.com