Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSD 8366 Pro Billet & MSD 8226 coil with Sniper EFI?

Default MSD 8366 Pro Billet & MSD 8226 coil with Sniper EFI?

I searched and couldn't find whether my distributor & coil will work with the Holley Sniper EFI. Has anyone used this combination and if so, any information you can share with me as for compatible connection plugs, etc.? I have an existing TBI on a GM 383 stroker and I cannot get enough fuel for the cam/head combination, so I'm removing the old ECU and associated wiring and going with the Holley Sniper EFI. The distributor & coil are part of the existing throttle body setup. Not sure if they will plug & play or not.

From what I see, the MSD 8366 is not a Pro Billet distributor, but rather a Ready-To-Run style distributor. Where you will run into trouble is that the MSD phaseable rotor will only work with the Pro Billet distributors. Without the ability to phase the rotor you're probably not going to be happy trying to get this distributor to work with Sniper EFI controlled ignition timing.

Rather than spend the money to buy a Pro Billet distributor, at this point you're going to be miles ahead by spending the extra money to buy the Holley Dual-Sync Distributor with the Sniper Plug-And-Play harness. While the Pro-Billet can be made to work in theory, it only takes a little bit of searching to find that in practice it has been an exercise in futility for many who have tried it.
    Chris Myer
    800-880-0960 x654
    chris@EFISystemPro.com

Check our www.EFISystemPro.com website for live stock status on
    all Holley items, including the full line of Holley HyperSpark Distributors!

The MSD 8366 distributor has an ignition module for factory OEM EFI that's not compatible (as is) with the aftermarket Sniper EFI. The Sniper EFI instruction manual illustrates the compatible distributors. I'd take Cmyer's advice and purchase the Holley Dual Sync Distributor (in fact, purchase it from him).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Sigh...I was afraid of that. I did a lot of research on the internet, but didn't see anything that says it would or would not work with the Sniper EFI.

Here's what the MSD website says about the distributor:
    GM late-model performance enthusiasts will be happy to see this Pro-Billet Distributor. The distributor, PN 8366, is a drop-in replacement for GM V8s using the small cap distributor with a dual connector coil found in cars from 1987-1993 & trucks from 1987-1995.

So, it's made for existing TBI setups, that's why I wondered if it would work with this TBI setup. In theory it sure seems like it should, ya know.

The Sniper TBI is an aftermarket EFI system, not a factory OEM EFI system. I highly suggest the Holley Dual Sync Distributor; you be glad you did. It's plug & play (with adapter wire harness) and easily selected in the EFI software/TSLCD unit. If you have a problem, the RPM input signal is the last thing you'll want to question.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Yup. I spent all day today trying to get the Pro Billet distributor to work on my AMC 360 with a Blaster coil and a 6AL (rev limiter disabled). I got zero spark. I went back to the GM-style HEI for now, until I can get something with will make the MSD system work.

I have the MSD Ready-To-Run and it will accept the phaseable/adjustable cap & rotor, but you need to lock out the vacuum & mechanical and bypass the circuit board. I had all the stuff to do this and finally decided not to ruin a perfectly good Ready-To-Run distributor and ordered the Holley Dual Sync distributor.

I have to disagree. The MSD 8336 seems to be a pre-locked pre-phased GM EFI style distributor. In theory, one could use a module replacement/bypass cable like this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8861 and use the magnetic trigger setup instructions in the Sniper EFI manual. May or may not work, but at less than $10 investment it's worth a try. At least it's been working for me for over 5,000 Sniper-powered miles by now.
    Last edited by Dr_Grip; 10-18-2017 at 12:04 PM.

I think you meant the MSD 8336? The 8226 seems to be a coil. Thanks for bringing the part number to my attention. I have to retract my statement, my distributor part number was the 8360.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
    I think you meant the MSD 8336? The 8226 seems to be a coil.
    Yep, 8336. I corrected it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast