Thread: Terminator HEI Question

Default Terminator HEI Question

I'm having a weird issue that started this passed weekend. I was cruising down the interstate and lost all power above 2000 RPM. Pulled over to check make sure nothing came loose, everything looked good. I got it start, but it took forever cranking to start and gas had to be applied. It was dumping fuel out to the tailpipe while trying to make it home, due to what I assume is not enough spark to ignite, but would almost die if it stay in the gas. I did some research and it seems that this was symptoms of the HEI module or coil going bad. So I replaced both the module and the coil with a stock GM one, which is where my issue now has presented itself. The RPM signal to both the tach & EFI system are jumping all over the place +/- 300 RPM, which is not normal before this. I have checked the timing which is set at 10° and changed the spark plugs, checked for loose connections. The EFI gets the signal on the tach output of the HEI. The engine is a Ford 393W with the Terminator Kit and 3.5" LCD touchscreen. This is the first issue that I have experienced with the last year of being on this system. Any ideas on what to check next? I'm kinda at a lose here.

It seems like the WBO2 sensor failed, or there's an exhaust leak upstream of the WBO2 sensor.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ension-Harness (WBO2 Sensor Information - Read 4th & 5th paragraph under "Wideband O2 Sensor Notes".)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Look on your handheld and see if you're reading a REALLY high number on the AFR. We just did this same thing on one of the '67 Big Block cars, and a new (only available from Holley) WBO2 fixed it a few days later. Also, try turning Learning off and see if suddenly you can drive the car. I now stock a WBO2 sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    It seems like the WBO2 sensor failed, or there's an exhaust leak upstream of the WBO2 sensor.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ension-Harness (WBO2 Sensor Information - Read 4th & 5th paragraph under "Wideband O2 Sensor Notes".)
    I didn't think about the WBO2 sensor. I'll give that a try tonight.

So fixed a small exhaust leak at the collector. Issue was still there. I then put a new WBO2 sensor on it. The engine did seem to idle a little better. The RPM was still fluttering. Took it for drive, seemed OK, power was there. But it would randomly just die like ignition cut out, because the EFI computer still had power. So I'm thinking it's either a loose connection or something in the distributor is bad.

Second question: If the computer loses the signal from the ignition coil, would it immediately turn the fuel pump off, which would in turn kill the engine? Forgot to mention it will startup directly after it dies.

Quote Originally Posted by snipes243 View Post
    If the computer loses the signal from the ignition coil, would it immediately turn the fuel pump off, which would in turn kill the engine?
    Yes, if the ECU loses RPM signal from the distributor or a wiring problem, the engine immediately dies.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Quote Originally Posted by snipes243 View Post
    So fixed a small exhaust leak at the collector. Issue was still there. I then put a new WBO2 sensor on it. The engine did seem to idle a little better. The RPM was still fluttering. Took it for drive, seemed OK, power was there. But it would randomly just die like ignition cut out, because the EFI computer still had power. So I'm thinking it's either a loose connection or something in the distributor is bad.
    You can speed your improvement by clearing your Learn Table entirely. When the WBO2 sensor died (possibly from over fueling as a result of the exhaust leak) it added a whole bunch of fuel to your Learn Table and it's going to take time to "unlearn" that. If you just clear the Learn Table you'll be a lot closer.
    Chris Myer
    800-880-0960 x654
    chris@EFISystemPro.com

Check our website for live stock status on all Holley items!
    www.EFISystemPro.com

Quote Originally Posted by cmyer View Post
    You can speed your improvement by clearing your Learn Table entirely. When the WBO2 sensor died (possibly from over fueling as a result of the exhaust leak) it added a whole bunch of fuel to your Learn Table and it's going to take time to "unlearn" that. If you just clear the Learn Table you'll be a lot closer.
    Can this be done with the 3.5" LCD touchscreen, or do I need to download software on the EFI laptop?

No, but the Holley EFI Digital Dash will let you Clear the Learn Table.