Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flooding condition every 4 or 5 new starts.

Default Flooding condition every 4 or 5 new starts.

Hi all, first post here. I've installed my Sniper on a '73 Mustang, with a 351C 4V.
    Its running on a dual-plane Offenhauser with a spacer.
    The Sniper EFI doesn't control the ignition (yet).
    As the car is not yet ready to go on the road, (need few more work).
    So it's never been driven yet, just started a few times.

The first time was very hard, as during cranking starter broke (what were the odds).
    So once I got a new hi-torque starter in place, I finally got it run, but needed.
    First clean the spark plugs that were flooded.
    This is right after the plugs were back in.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHmYsy9EBvw
    After it was warm, I've stopped it and restarted it with no problem.
    Next morning, same, started/ran perfectly.

The week past and when returned to it, next start was hard again.
    Needed push pedal a bit. It started but didn't run OK, like if one cylinder was missing.
    Checked and two plugs were flooded again.
    Now basically, if the engine has not been run for more than three days, I need clean plugs 1 on 2 attempts to start.
    I know can feel right away if it gonna flood or will go OK.

So question is: Is it the initial fuel load I need reduce?
    During upload program, I've set crankshaft to street strip, it's a 280, could it be related?
    Is it because it never went for a spin yet?
    Any tips on what I should test would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

The ECU doesn't enter Learn mode until the engine reaches 160°F. Have you checked fuel pressure?
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...8356#post88356 (Holley Sniper EFI Fuel Pressure Tester/Gauge)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Not very familiar with the device yet, but I think I saw a 60 psi displayed. Will check next start (got to clean up my plugs first).

Even though it has dialed in your idle AFR once it reaches full operating temp, you'll still need to manually tune your Cranking Fuel, After Start Enrichment & Coolant Temperature Enrichment.

Good advice. You can only tune the Startup Enrichment parameters after the Learning has self-tuned the Base Fuel Table and if the Coolant Temperature Enrichment & A/F Ratio Offset tables are acceptable. This is because the aforementioned parameters & tables are modifiers of the Base Fuel Table. Exception: Cranking Fuel (lb/hr), Cranking Timing & IAC Parked Position %, because they function independently under 400 RPM (or whatever your "Crank To Run RPM" is). FYI: The "Crank To Run RPM" parameter in Ignition Parameters (Cranking Parameters - Sniper EFI) is not your actual cranking RPM when starting the engine.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....6254#post36254 (Good Starting Advice Thread - Especially posts #2, #4 & #6.)

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

We should also mention the IAC Parked Position. That can make starting a little harder.

I did mention it in post #5, and it's also in the link. And yes, increasing it usually helps startup.

I missed that, as usual you are on the ball.

And thanks for your help/participation on the forum.

Still have to read the above tips. Just back from garage. As I want make sure all is done correctly.
    I've reset the unit with a new Wizard pass this time letting the cam to mild/original.
    Plugs cleaned up: at least 4 were flooded or about to be.
    Gap checked 0.86 mm (.034") and clean they went back in.
    Rechecked once more the electrics, battery, measured Volts & Ohms values on coil positive/distributor, all OK.

It started almost right away, once I've pushed pedal 2 or 3% after 1 or 2 secs on starter.
    Very rough at first (and too rich). Once the noticeable point reach few secs later where I can hear more air is sucked in.
    It could hold the idle itself, and was revving 850/950 mostly. Let it warm up till operating temperature.

Here are 10 pictures on my server from cold to warm, with one or two revving in 2K range:
    http://closier.nl/downloads/mustang/sniper/IMG_1.JPG
    http://closier.nl/downloads/mustang/sniper/IMG_2.JPG
    --> IMG_3.JPG, 4, 5, etc., up to 10. On picture 8, I see the IAC is 54%:
    http://closier.nl/downloads/mustang/sniper/IMG_8.JPG

On other thread I saw you need adjust the idle screw if RPM are not the one on device.
    As it was, default Wizard is 900, I've let it. But then saw in another it needs be 2% when idling hot.
    So obviously I will do this next start. Could it be related?
    Is there any values on these pictures that are off the chart?

Also once warm, while progressively pressing pedal it would rev/sound OK.
    But if I would press pedal quickly and let go, doing nothing would lead the engine to die.
    Pressing just a bit revives it and it then hold its idle OK back to 900 range.

So if you see any things weird, let me know.
    Regarding fuel pressure, haven't seen anything on device today, so must have dreamed it.
    I have a test pressure gauge for my 5.0L T-bird fuel rail, will see if I can find some fitting to add it.
    Thanks by advance for your help (and pardon my bad French English).
    Last edited by Fabrice; 09-16-2017 at 02:25 PM.