Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holley 12-700 HP Fuel Pump

Default Holley 12-700 HP Fuel Pump

Been running this pump for four years with the Terminator and has worked flawlessly, I think. When the engine gets hot, say 205°F to 210°F (but never over 220°F, which only ever gets that high when rock crawling slow on long hills in low gear), the fuel pump will get a high pitched whine. It always maintains fuel pressure. Sounds totally different than when you start it up. Seems odd that's the only time you hear it. Last week at an off-road event in Arkansas, I was asked about it several times when others heard it. Curious if this is normal? I have a video where you can hear it very well, just have to find it.

A noisy fuel pump is usually a sign of fuel pump cavitation.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

OK, is that something I need to be concerned about?

I never could get mine to quiet down, so it's now just some junk in a box on a shelf and I made an in-tank setup. I tried various filters, moved lines, moved the pump, did everything I could think of, and once the fuel got a little warm, it got loud.

Quote Originally Posted by JWMcCrary View Post
    OK, is that something I need to be concerned about?
    Over long term use, yes.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I have the pump mounted to the frame rail just in front of the drivers rear wheel. All the exhaust is on the passenger side, did that purposely to keep away from the fuel lines & pump. I'm running a fuel cell (15 gal) mounted in the bed behind the rear seat (early Bronco). The fuel cell has Walbro pickups and feed out the bottom of the tank, so it's basically a gravity feed to the pre-filter and then the pump. About the only way I could make it any better would be to move the pump up into the bed by the tank.

I have the pump mounted to the frame rail just in front of the drivers rear wheel.
    The fuel pump suction hose should be as short as possible (but at least yours is gravity fed from the bottom of the fuel cell).

The fuel cell has Walbro pickups and feed out the bottom of the tank, so it's basically a gravity feed to the pre-filter and then the pump.
    If those Walbro pickups have any filtration, then you shouldn't have an additional pre-filter installed.

Glad I started this thread; hadn't thought about the Walbro pickups having any filtering, which I'm sure they do. I added the fuel cell and those pickups after I had the filters & pump running using a stock tank. I think I will take the pre-filter out and see if that helps.

Just called the company that set the tank up for me; for sure shouldn't have the pre-filter with the Walbro pickups. Thanks Danny. I'm taking that filter out and moving the pump closer to the tank, see if that helps.

Just called the company that set the tank up for me; for sure shouldn't have the pre-filter with the Walbro pickups. Thanks Danny. I'm taking that filter out and moving the pump closer to the tank, see if that helps.
    You're welcome. As I stated earlier, you may not have to move the fuel pump closer (since yours is gravity fed from the bottom of the fuel cell). I'd start with just removing the pre-filter.

Bringing this back up in the event it may help someone else. Still had the same problem with this pump and getting even louder. The Bronco was parked for the winter, just got it out, decided to replace the pump to be on the safe side and keep this one for a spare. When I searched Holley 12-700 at Summit nothing came up. I went to Google and did a search and landed at Holley's website and they show this pump discontinued. The writeup on the pump said is is not recommended for use on street driven vehicles where the ambient temperature will be above 90°F. WHAT??!! This is the pump that Holley supplied in the fuel kit recommended for the Terminator when I bought the system. I guess they figured out later on that it wasn't up to snuff and discontinued it. I'm lucky it lasted this long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast