Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Loop vs Closed Loop

Holley is working on the website problem.
    UPDATE: The Holley EFI Tech Resource Library webpage is working now (LINK).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks, just downloaded and sorted out the V4 & V5 firmware updates. Going to figure out a game plan based on the instructions. May generate a few questions, so I'll get back to you. Again, thanks for the help. I'm an old guy still stuck in manual chokes & points distributors! P.S. I still can't figure out how to get email notifications of when replies are posted.

Quote Originally Posted by ROFCIBC View Post
    P.S. I still can't figure out how to get email notifications of when replies are posted.
    Check your "Messaging & Notifications" selections, under "Settings" (upper right corner of screen), and "General Settings" (under "My Account" at left column).
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Got it, the block for "Receive emails from other members." was not checked! DOH!

Now to the nitty gritty. I have unzipped all the V4 & V5 files I downloaded, and gone through them, trying to figure out what I need to do in order to update the Terminator in the car. Some questions.
    1. Since the car is not being used in competition, driven only to shows and other outings during good weather, is there any need to put the more robust V5 in it?

2. These are the files/folders I have:
    techlibrary_hefi_v4.0.110_setup.zip, that when unzipped yielded:
    techlibrary_hefi_v2.0.110_setup, a Folder that contained:
    HEFI V4.0.110 Setup.zip, that when unzipped yielded:
    HEFI V4.0.110 Setup.exe
    So I assume the ".exe" file is the one I need to work with. Correct?

3. I also downloaded the 3.5" TSLCD folder which had the techlibrary_3.5tlcd.zip, that unzipped gave me"tslcd35st_fw_05000030.fwu". I assume that is the 3.5" handheld gizmo software?

4. I took the SD out of the handheld controller and put it in my desktop computer, and noted its file structure is basically two main folders FW0000 & FW0300, along with a "Saved GCF" folder. Did a download of the GCF from the ECU and got a "TBI85BB225CD02" folder that had 8 sub-folders that I assume make up the current "tune" (Learned one) in the ECU.

5. I also somehow downloaded and installed the "Engine Management System" program (Version 5, Build 32) into my desktop computer. It appears to be what is used to modify a stored "tune" from the GCF, but not sure how to use it, or if I even need it. In advance, thanks for all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by ROFCIBC View Post
    1. Since the car is not being used in competition, driven only to shows and other outings during good weather, is there any need to put the more robust V5 in it?
    No.

2. So I assume the ".exe" file is the one I need to work with. Correct?
    The .exe executable is the Holley EFI software.

3. I also downloaded the 3.5" TSLCD folder which had the techlibrary_3.5tlcd.zip, that unzipped gave me"tslcd35st_fw_05000030.fwu". I assume that is the 3.5" handheld gizmo software?
    Yes, that's the 3.5" TSLCD firmware.

4. I took the SD out of the handheld controller and put it in my desktop computer, and noted its file structure is basically two main folders FW0000 & FW0300, along with a "Saved GCF" folder. Did a download of the GCF from the ECU and got a "TBI85BB225CD02" folder that had 8 sub-folders that I assume make up the current "tune" (Learned one) in the ECU.
    Yes.

5. I also somehow downloaded and installed the "Engine Management System" program (Version 5, Build 32) into my desktop computer. It appears to be what is used to modify a stored "tune" from the GCF, but not sure how to use it, or if I even need it.
    The Holley EFI laptop software is used to fully program & tune the engine. Please read this post, it's full of useful information: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments)

OK, got the V4 EFI program installed, found my current (only GCF) and started opening it. Ever screen came with a warning about this or that was "older" than V4 and would be changed when saved.

1. How will be "Firmware" currently in the ECU be updated to work with the updated GCF? I'm a little leery about changing the current GCF, since the 3.5" TSLCD has not been updated with the new Firmware?

The EFI (laptop) software, ECU firmware & touchscreen unit (if applicable) must all be V4 compatible (LINK).
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....5760#post45760 (Determining EFI Software/ECU Firmware Versions)
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...rmwarerev1.pdf (How To Update ECU Firmware)
    The instructions (PDF file) & ECU firmware (.eep file, Firmware folder/Documents) are included in the
    V4 EFI software download. Go to your "Documents", "Holley" folder, "HEFI V4" folder, "Firmware" folder.
    Before updating firmware, ensure the current Global File is saved somewhere, since it will be erased from the ECU.

Got it...thanks.

Once the Firmware is updated (which erases the GCF), do I just take the SD card out of the handheld unit, copy the saved GCF on it, put the card back in and turn on to upload it?

Yes: https://documents.holley.com/199r10751rev1.pdf (Holley EFI 553-108 3.5" TSLCD Instruction Manual - "ECU Globals", Page 31)

You're GOOD! I had just downloaded that manual, and printed it out. Hadn't gotten to page 31 yet though!

I noticed three different .fwu files on the SD. One in the root directory, one in the FW0000 folder, and one in the FW0300 folder. Should I copy the one I downloaded from the Holley site to the SD? If so, where? I assume when powered up the 3.5" handheld will "find" the newest version and update appropriately. I noticed a "button" that said "Upgrade ECU Firmware" on the "File: ECU Info" screen.

Sure do miss the old days of setting points and tuning carbs with a screwdriver!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast