Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Open Loop vs Closed Loop

Quote Originally Posted by ROFCIBC View Post
    I noticed three different .fwu files on the SD. One in the root directory, one in the FW0000 folder, and one in the FW0300 folder. Should I copy the one I downloaded from the Holley site to the SD? If so, where?
    Just paste the new firmware under the current numerically highest firmware. It will ask for your confirmation before updating.

Sure do miss the old days of setting points and tuning carbs with a screwdriver!
    Not me! Please don't mention that on this forum again, LOL!
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Roger on the "don't mention"! Got rained out yesterday working on the Beeper. Just copied the HEFI_04001100.eep file to the root directory of the SD card. As soon as the guy with the ark and animals two by two out of my yard and I can get to the garage, I'm going to start on the firmware upgrade.

Regarding the "current tune" have one question. I took the Global folder TBI85BB225CD020 that was the Saved GCF folder on the SD card and “converted” it to an EFI V4 Ver “TBI85BB225CD02.hefi” file. Added “V4 save 01” to the .hefi file name to differentiate if from any older files.

I assume that when I upgrade the 3.5" TSLCD to V4 firmware, and it completes it will delete that Global Folder.
    So where on the SD card do I put that “converted” file, so after I update to V4 firmware, it will “find” and use the converted file?
    The “old” GCF folder was in the SD Card: TSLCE35ST Root/HOLLEY/FW0000/Saved GCF folder.
    Still not getting email notifications of posts though.

I don't remember (off the top of head) the exact navigation details of saving or uploading a Global Folder.
    Try saving it to the computer's Desktop screen to ensure you don't lose it when updating the 3.5" TSLCD.
    Just add your revised Global Files where they're currently located in the SD card directory (ECU Globals/Saved GCF).
    https://documents.holley.com/199r10751rev1.pdf (Holley EFI 553-108 3.5" TSLCD Instruction Manual - "ECU Globals", Page 31)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks for taking the time...you've got the patience of Job!

Got it. I may be “over thinking” this whole process, but I spent my life flying big airplanes all over the world, and pilots tend to get anal when it comes to whatever they're doing! Being retired, I have all the time in the world on my hands, and don’t need to have the car up & running right away as it’s not a daily driver anyhow.

Since I'm going to be replacing the WBO2 sensor (supposed to be delivered today) when this whole problem came to light, I was considering just going back to square one and starting a new “Learn” just like when I first installed the system.

If I simply upgrade the ECU to V4, and nothing else, is there a way I can start from “square one” and create a new Learned tune? That way I don’t have to mess around with converting from the old tune format (Global File) to the new (.hefi) format? I assume that the firmware includes some sort of generic tune that allows you to get the engine running so it can begin a Learning process.

Got started on the firmware updates. Found a few YouTube videos that gave a better picture of what I was going to do. I also put the Data Logger Program in my desktop and laptop computers. Used it to convert the old version Global Folders to the new format. Obtained a cable from Holley that connects to the ECU and has a USB plug to hook the ECU to my laptop, although I have not done that. Wanted to load from the 3.5" Touchscreen since the videos used that method.

I turned the ignition to on but instead of the screen coming up with the normal menu, it appeared to immediately install something, because I saw progress bars indicating something was being downloaded, although I did not know what, and from where it was coming. I assumed it was the SD card in the handheld touchscreen.

Since all the videos I had seen showed the normal menu, moving to the screen with the upgrade firmware prompt, I just kind of let it do its thing, whatever that was. After a minute of downloading, various different messages began showing up, in a pretty rapid pace, which didn’t give me time to read them, much less take a picture, or record what was done.

Eventually all the activity ceased and the screen said “remove SD and reboot”, which puzzled me since none of the videos, nor any of the written instructions mentioned that. It didn’t make any difference, since the screen then went blank, and stayed that way. After a while I turned the ignition off.
    Eventually I turned the ignition on, (fuel pump ran) and the screen came up, but had the message: “Connected ECU version is not supported by this device. Firmware upgrade is required.” This to me meant the “upgrading” I had observed was the firmware in the handheld screen was upgraded, but for whatever reason the ECU was not.

One screen said “Firmware upgrade is required. ECU FW Version 0.0.1589. Device FW Version 3.0.43. This seems to confirm what I had though about the 3.5 being updated but NOT the ECU.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Upgrade 08.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	7734

When I pressed the “Upgrade ECU FW” on this screen, I got a screen that said “No files found HOLLEY”. (I assume the “HOLLEY” refers to a directory on the SD card of the same name)

I checked the SD which has a root directory “TSLCD35ST” that contained a “HOLLEY” folder, which contained the only two what I recognize as “files”. They are “HEFI_04001100.eep” and “tslcd35s_fw_0.0.43.fwu”. I assume the former is the ECU firmware update and the latter had something to do with 3.5 handheld device. I also found in the Root/HOLLEY/FW0300 directory a “tslcd35st_fw_3.0.43.fwu” file which matches the “Device FW Version 3.0.43” the device shows on one of the screens I observed.

At this point, things were pretty much at a standstill, since it was Sunday and tech support isn’t available. So I did decide to see if the engine would start, and it fired up right away, so at least I can move it if the garage catches on fire, but nothing on the 3.5 screen changed, other that some messages said, “cannot do (xxx) with the engine running”, and I shut it off, muttered a few choice words relating to parentage, reproductive activity and bodily orifices among other things, that I’m not going to post here, and popped a cool brew!

Update: As a result of a call to Holley Tech Support, and a few back & forth trips to the car and computer, the tech "Ron" suggested rather than trying to get the new upgraded firmware installed, he would just send me a new SD card, with all the newest & best software already on it. Sounded like a great idea to me, so just waiting on that to arrive.

Thanks for the update. I'm glad they're doing that now, because it resolves a common SD card problem.

Yeah, in hindsight it seems like the fastest and most reliable way. Pop the old card out, put the new one in! For most folks like me that aren't into the nuts & bolts of tuning, for racing events, that would be easier. To be honest, I'd be willing to pay for a system where I get an upgrade notification; then if I want it, they send a new SD card for a nominal charge.

Also in hindsight, I probably should have been more vigilant. I bought the Terminator EFI system in Dec 2015, but didn't get around to installing it until about a year later. Didn't think about checking for updates until last year...DOH! It appears whatever was current in 2015 is what the car had in it until I started the upgrade process last month.

Well, got the SD card, called the tech support guys, popped it in, turned the EFI on, started doing it's thing, then the dreaded "Error 28". Tech rep said, "Send us the ECU." An hour later, after taking the driver seat out, getting up into the bowels of the dashboard, where I had put the ECU and getting it out, it was on FedEx headed to Holley of Bowling Green, Kentucky! Hope to get it back next week and will see what happens next!
    Last edited by ROFCIBC; 01-10-2019 at 10:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123