Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Injector End Angle Tuning

Default Advanced Tables & Injector Phasing

The default Injector Phasing table has Y-axis of MAP, but Aaron's V2.6 Injector Phasing spreadsheet uses "Inj PW".
    I created an Advanced Table according to his instructions with Table Type = "Injector End Angle Offset", Y-axis = "Inj PW" and copied the table values.
    Then I rechecked System Parameters -> Injector Phasing and found that the Y-axis was still MAP.
    Is this expected or have I failed to set some parameter, which causes the Advanced Table to used in place of the default? This is on V5.171. Rick

The table in System Parameters > Injector Phasing is zeroed out and not used. So the IEA becomes 0 at all times.

The Advanced Table offsets that 0 to the new values. We have to use Advanced Tables because we cannot change the Y-axis variable in the other table.

Thanks for the info. I should've read up more on how Advanced Tables work. Rick

I'm late to the party, but finally went ahead and tried out the 2.6 version of the spreadsheet. Before this I used the phase table that is built into the Holley software, the one that calculates a table from your cam specs.

I do like the spreadsheet phasing better. It finally dawned on me this morning why it makes more sense to use IPW as the Y-axis rather than MAP like Holley does.

The Holley table had me idle in the 70-80 DGR range. The spreadsheet moved idle to 140. The engine didn't like that much, I had less idle vacuum and it was rougher. I changed the 'lower slope offset' to 60 which had idle at 110 and that worked better. Idle vacuum was back, maybe even a little better than with the Holley table.

Biggest change is when shifting (manual). It's smoother when I catch the next gear with the clutch. I also noticed the left and right bank run closer in AFR. I only use the right bank for Closed Loop. The left bank used to be 0.5-1.0 AFR richer, now it's often the same to maybe 0.5 AFR richer.

For reference: 454 BBC. Cam 231°/239°, 110° LSA. Idle MAP is 50 kPa @ 925 RPM.

Hi Aaron. Why did you stop the IEA in the table?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IEA.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	10031  

That's the upper slope. At that point the "ideal injection window" is full and we're now advancing the beginning of injection to fit the larger PW. The lower slope (the other numbers) is where we retard the end of injection as PW goes up, but we can fit it within the window.

Thanks Allan, I got you. What about to spray the the fuel as soon as possible? I mean to spray it shorty after the intake valve is closed, let's say around -450° or even more degrees. Has anyone ever tried this?

Then you'd have a puddle of fuel sitting on the intake valve when it opens during overlap, and much of the fuel will be pushed into other cylinders.

Quote Originally Posted by zwede View Post
    Then you'd have a puddle of fuel sitting on the intake valve when it opens during overlap, and much of the fuel will be pushed into other cylinders.
    Exactly. Intake valve closing would be around 50-90° according to the Holley numbers. From the factory Holley comes with a 0° setting, which is BDC of the intake stroke. This is just about the worst time to spray I find, and the people that have this setting seem to benefit the most from IEA tuning. However, with a factory small cam, there may be benefits to spraying much earlier well before the intake valve opens. This is because those cams have little overlap.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011