Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 550-400 TBI stalling when stopping, and I need a replacement part.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    That's V1 ECU firmware. You need to update your EFI software/ECU firmware versions (LINK). There have been many EFI functionality updates/improvements since then.
    The instructions for how to choose a version and how to update the ECU are, shall we say, a little vague. For instance, are these software updates all good for the Avenger TBI? Or is there one specific update I should be looking at?

One thing to note is that I do not have a Windows laptop. In fact, I'm pretty much running a Linux only environment. Beyond that, I have no interest in buying a USB to CAN bus adapter so it looks like the V4 update isn't going to work for me as they appear to only be Windows executable. Unless I can find a file to copy onto the flash card in the controller screen and use it to update the ECU.

Near as I can figure, the V3 update gives me the techlibrary_hefi_03000140.eep file that looks like it might be the ECU firmware. I just need to make sure that one is going to work on my ECU (assuming I change the LCD controller to 3.x as well). Either that or I need to figure out how to get a V4 ECU firmware file to load on my flash card. Any advice you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by grimmjeeper View Post
    The instructions for how to choose a version and how to update the ECU are, shall we say, a little vague.
    Of course it is; the "updates" didn't exist at the time the instructions were written.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...rmwarerev1.pdf (How To Update ECU Firmware)

For instance, are these software updates all good for the Avenger TBI? Or is there one specific update I should be looking at?
    Yes, the Avenger EFI uses an HP ECU. I would update to V3 or V4 EFI software/ECU firmware.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Of course it is; the "updates" didn't exist at the time the instructions were written.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...rmwarerev1.pdf (How To Update ECU Firmware)
    As I said in the part of my post that you cut out, I don't have a USB cable to plug into anything. I also don't have a Windows laptop to run the EFI software on. So I can't take anything out to the truck to plug it in if I did have the cable and EFI software. So those instructions won't work for me. Is there any way to load a file on the SD card and use the LCD touchscreen to update the ECU?

Quote Originally Posted by grimmjeeper View Post
    Is there any way to load a file on the SD card and use the LCD touchscreen to update the ECU?
    Which touchscreen unit do you have? I'm not familiar with the early style Terminator handheld controller (LINK). The new style 3.5" LCD touchscreen (LINK) isn't too expensive, and it's much better. And it can update the ECU too.
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10751rev1.pdf (Holley 553-108 3.5" LCD Touchscreen Instruction Manual - "Update ECU Firmware", Page 32)

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I'm using the 553-108 controller. You suggested I buy it in your first response to this thread. The original controller that came with my Avenger (not Terminator) died and won't turn on. That's what started this whole thread. And I know it can update the ECU. What I need to know is, where do I find the files to put on to the 553-108 SD card so that I can update the ECU.

Contact Holley Tech Service (LINK).

If I remember correctly, but don't quote me, I think the 3.5" touchscreen has the V4 firmware on it already.

Quote Originally Posted by 81 TransAm View Post
    If I remember correctly, but don't quote me, I think the 3.5" touchscreen has the V4 firmware on it already.
    Only for the touchscreen. It doesn't have any ECU firmware on it.

So I had some time today and spent a bit of time going through the whole setup. Found a few things that were off like my injector settings, so I started over with a clean setup for the 550-400. I dialed up the throttle adjustment at the throttle body and went through the TPS setting Wizard a couple of times. The IAC at idle is mostly staying below 10%. And if it's above when I come to a stop light, it's no more than 12 or so.

Better news is that it didn't even hint at stalling when I went through my test loop of highway & city streets. The RPM did drop into the 600s a couple of times coming up to a light, but the IAC kicked up and it tried to hover right around 750, which is the Target Idle Speed.

I did notice that the IAC does kick up to 30% when cruising down the freeway. But the A/F ratio stayed right in the neighborhood it was supposed to be in, so I guess that's normal. I'm going to keep driving it this week. I'm sure that it has a lot of Learning to do yet to get itself completely dialed in. But I think for the moment, I've solved the stalling issue.

The 30% IAC Position would be your IAC Hold Position setting.