Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Behold, another smart coil Terminator issue.

Did you mess with the power & ground to the pump when you installed the CNP ignition? What gauge wire goes to your pump?

2. Default

Not that I can remember. Haven't touched anything pump related, ever since I hooked up its wiring to the Terminator harness as instructed roughly a year ago. And I'm pretty sure I'm using 12 AWG for the power & ground wire (because that's usually the most abundant wire size we always have around). Only ground wires messed with when installing the new ignition were the ones for the coil packs themselves. Which have heavy gauge wire going to the cylinder heads and directly to battery per instructions.
    1986 Ford Thunderbird: Custom ROUSH 427 SBF/DART SHP Big Bore Block, AFR Heads, Holley Terminator EFI, Holley Smart Coils, custom valve cover coil bracket.
    "T-birds are like the red headed step son of the Fox body family...but we still love 'em the same."

3. Default

Before I go into great detail on how I'm still having ignition problems, what would (roughly) be the spark gap required for running the Holley smart coil type setup?
    Specs:
    Holley Dual Sync Distributor
    Holley Smart Coils
    Taylor ThunderVolt 10mm wires
    Autolite copper core plugs
    9.5:1 compression
    58cc chamber AFR heads
    93 octane gas
    1986 Ford Thunderbird: Custom ROUSH 427 SBF/DART SHP Big Bore Block, AFR Heads, Holley Terminator EFI, Holley Smart Coils, custom valve cover coil bracket.
    "T-birds are like the red headed step son of the Fox body family...but we still love 'em the same."

May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

5. Default

I don't know what I'm missing. I redid all the wiring per Holley spec, new fuel system, and created a tune according to Holley. In park and at 3000 RPM, timing at balancer is only 2° off from ECU. It's got to be something stupid. Used to run when using an old canister style coil & Ford TFI distributor. Today I'll try Autolite double platinum plugs (recommended by Autolite for multi-coil systems) and a gap of .050". Also, double check distributor phasing. If I did somehow install the distributor 180° off, would it even idle as good as it does?

6. Default

OK, so still no luck. Completely rechecked everything. Even went through distributor phasing process. The only thing I noticed is that when I hold the brake and put the car under load, the missing starts around 2200 RPM, (I have a 2400 stall converter).

With my laptop hooked up, I turned on the "line graph" and set it to analyze ignition timing per RPM. The timing climbs and advances as normal, but when I get near the 2200 mark and the tires begin to break, the issue begins and I notice the timing graph drop and then become erratic, even if the RPM is constant.

It seems that it's not necessarily missing, but almost like the ECU or distributor completely loses track of where it's at and when it should fire? Am I getting warm?

Quote Originally Posted by Cougarbird86 View Post
    Specs:
    Holley Dual Sync Distributor
    Holley Smart Coils
    Taylor ThunderVolt 10mm wires
    Autolite copper core plugs
    9.5:1 compression
    58cc chamber AFR heads
    93 octane gas
    Did you resolve the fuel pressure problem? How are your Custom Ignition Parameters programmed?
    The Custom Ignition Parameters (in System Parameters) for the Holley EFI Dual Sync Distributor:
    Ignition Type ............. ― "Custom"
    Crank Sensor Type ..... ― "1 Pulse/Fire"
    Sensor Type .............. ― "Digital Falling"
    Inductive Delay .......... ― "100.0 usec" ( Synchronization info, adjusted per application.)
    Ignition Reference Angle ― "50°" ( Inherent rotor-phasing of this unit.)
    Cam Sensor Type ........ ― "Single Pulse" ( CNP ignition.)
    Sensor Type .............. ― "Digital Falling"
    Output Setup Type ..... ― "DIS Coil On Plug" (← Holley CNP Smart Coils.)
    Dwell Time ................. ― "4.0-5.0 msec" (← Read end of page 1 - LINK.)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

8. Default

The fuel pressure problem has been resolved with a completely new fuel system from the tank up. I'm pretty sure those are all the settings I'm using. I will double check once I get home from work. When I did all my timing checks, everything was spot on. Crank, idle & 3000 RPM. All of my Ignition Parameters are as you stated.

Question 1: I used static timing to check the timing at idle (per instructions) and then revved to 3000 RPM with laptop in window and compared timing with it to the balancer with my light...several times. Would using static timing for 3000 RPM rev check show anything drastically different than the instructions method?

Question 2: The left & right bank coils each run an independent 12 AWG power wire to a dedicated fuse block. Fuse block power is fed by 8 AWG power wire to relay. Relay power wire ties into a distribution block connected to three other relays. Distribution block is fed battery power with a 6 AWG wire. This is adequate correct?

9. Default

Well, I think shes running! Burning the tires and hitting the high revs. Only things I did:
    -Upgraded ECU & 3.5" handheld to V5 firmware.
    -Created a fresh new tune (had a hell of time starting until learn mode kicked in).
    -Hooked up the fuel regulator vacuum reference to manifold vacuum.
    -Decreased fuel pressure from 44 psi to 43 psi.
    I'm coming to the realization that my entire vacation spent modifying the ignition system was a waste and the culprit was a glitch in the ECU.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12