Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeep Vacuum Advance

Is there a Holley Dual Sync Distributor available for your Jeep engine? Watch the YouTube Tech video for more Sniper information.

FYI: Holley EFI now sells their own Dual Sync Hall-Effect distributors (LINK).
    They're a small cap design, "plug & play" with Holley EFI, and no need for a modified Firing Order.
    The crank & cam sensor signals also provide sequential injection capability (MPFI applications).
    It's "plug & play" (into the 10-pin ignition connector on the EFI Main Harness) and requires a CD
    ignition box (Instructions). The MSD 6201 Digital 6A CDI box & 8253 HVC-2 coil are a great match.
    The MSD CD ignition box is wired as shown in the Holley EFI Wiring Manual:
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual - Figure 11, Page 20)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM7r-DauCak (Holley EFI Dual Sync Distributor - YouTube Tech Video)
    A blank cap (LINK) is available, if the user decides to convert to Coil-Near-Plug/DIS later (no CDI box).
    Of course, this component can also be used as a crank and/or cam sync/oil pump drive unit.

The Custom Ignition Parameters (in System Parameters) for the Holley EFI Dual Sync Distributor:
    Ignition Type ............. ― "Custom"
    Crank Sensor Type ..... ― "1 Pulse/Fire"
    Sensor Type .............. ― "Digital Falling"
    Inductive Delay .......... ― "100.0 usec" ( Synchronization info, adjusted per application.)
    Ignition Reference Angle ― "50°" ( Inherent rotor-phasing of this unit.)
    Cam Sensor Type ........ ― "Single Pulse" ( "Not Used" for TBI, unless CNP ignition.)
    Sensor Type .............. ― "Digital Falling"
    Output Setup Type ..... ― "Points Output" ( CDI box ground trigger.)
    Dwell Time ................. ― "2.0 msec" ( Do not set this to 1.5 msec!)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

One crucial difference between the Sniper EFI and your normal carb is that with a carb, you set the idle in gear with the high beams & A/C on, i.e. under full engine load. When you decrease load (neutral, headlamps off, A/C off) idle rises. With the Sniper EFI, idle is always the same. So if by putting into gear the engine goes into stall, it's because the IAC can't compensate for the extra load from spinning the TC fast enough. Before you invest in timing control, simply try increasing idle by 50 or 100 RPM first.

I've fooled with the idle quite a bit, and it doesn't help the high gear situation. No fuel adjustments helped, only hurt. And I'm not familiar with setting idle like that. TI

The TPS Autoset doesn't apply to the Sniper EFI, but here's how to achieve the idle speed screw/IAC Position adjustment:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read Step #3!)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...PWM-IAC-Wiring (Read "Initial Baseline Idle Speed Screw Setting" & "Sniper EFI Idle Setting/Throttle Blade Setting")

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

DC, you're the man. One trivial question. From the looks of the adapter harness, I'll need to lengthen the wiring. Can I just replace the wires with longer ones (and new pins/sockets) instead of cutting & soldering in two places?

Quote Originally Posted by RTIrvin63 View Post
    Can I just replace the wires with longer ones (and new pins/sockets) instead of cutting & soldering in two places?
    Yes, that's actually the preferred way of doing it (so there's only one splice per wire).

What pin part numbers do I need? The Tyco ones in the tool instructions?

I'm not familiar with the Sniper EFI wire harness. You'll have to show me a picture of the harness connector you want to lengthen.

I was just looking at the pics in the instructions, that's all I have until I order.

Curious what exactly are you ordering? I see talk of a dual sync distributor, but I don't see one for an inline 6?