Thread: Single-plane or dual-plane intake?

Default Single-plane or dual-plane intake?

I haven't installed my Sniper yet. Seems like I read somewhere that these EFI units work better with a single-plane intake rather than a dual-plane. Is that true? Robert

That's not true. Use the appropriate intake manifold type & model for your engine application/combination.
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...3420#post93420 (Related Forum Thread)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Quote Originally Posted by Firebob View Post
    I haven't installed my Sniper yet. Seems like I read somewhere that these EFI units work better with a single-plane intake rather than a dual-plane. Is that true? Robert
    I'm running with an Edelbrock dual-plane intake manifold. Works brilliant.

I'm running an RPM now, but with the divider in place. I don't have enough hood clearance to run a spacer. Seems like the issue is the MAP sensor only reads half the intake with the divider in place. Sounds like I have two choices; trim the divider down on my RPM or swap in a single-plane. Think I'll use the single-plane first off, until I get this thing situated, and then I'll try out my RPM after it's running good. Then if it creates an issue, I'll know right away what it is and how to fix it.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend making any decisions now based on a problem you "might" have. I've lost track of the number of Sniper systems my customers have installed on dual-plane manifolds and exactly ZERO have had a problem with them.

I think that all of this concern about the dual-plane manifold is a misinterpretation of some otherwise factual data. There are some dual-plane manifolds that can create problems with specific fuel induction systems. This is specific to the manifold, not to the fuel injection system. Danny has time & time again posted the link to the video that shows a dual plane/carburetor setup that has issues on the dyno until an Air-Gap is machined. Clearly, this has NOTHING to do with one specific fuel injection system.

I posted a blog post on our website that said essentially what was in that previous paragraph, but did so to point out that IF there is a problem that is easily resolved. Some how that has been convoluted into saying that there's an issue with the Terminator or Sniper when it comes to dual-plane manifolds. Not the case. Period.
    Chris Myer
    800-880-0960 x654
    chris@EFISystemPro.com

Check our website for live stock status on all Holley items!
    www.EFISystemPro.com

OK, I don't like to create problems for myself resulting in extra, unneeded work. But this is all new to me and if I do run into issues after the install, I'm not sure I will be able to recognize that it's an issue caused by the intake compatibility. I guess I won't worry about it until it happens. At some point I may pull my current RPM and cut down the divider though, just to try & balance the sides out since I'm not able to run a spacer due to hood clearance. Thanks to everybody for the info & advice.