Thread: At a loss, odd behavior.

Default At a loss, odd behavior.

Hey there folks, I was hoping to get a bit of help with some oddities I'm experiencing with my Sniper. It was running great & tuning well after setup, but a couple months down the line it randomly had a bunch of issues.

The first issue is that it would not run the fuel pump at all while cranking or while the engine was running. It would prime, but thereafter there was no power sent to the blue wire. The second, is that some of the sensors were returning errors. The CTS gave an error reading a few times, but is currently behaving normally. The injectors simply read "error" on the Multi Gauge screen. I tried wiring the fuel pump to a switched +12V, but the engine simply isn't getting fuel. What would be a good place to start?

Quote Originally Posted by George66Falcon View Post
    The first issue is that it would not run the fuel pump at all while cranking...
    When this happens, does the Sniper EFI Data Monitor display legitimate cranking RPM?

...or while the engine was running.
    How can the engine run with an inoperative fuel pump?

The CTS gave an error reading a few times, but is currently behaving normally.
    I would replace the coolant temperature sensor (LINK).

The injectors simply read "error" on the Multi Gauge screen. I tried wiring the fuel pump to a switched +12V, but the engine simply isn't getting fuel.
    Contact Holley Tech Service (LINK).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Cranking RPM shows only "stall". The pump would prime, so there would be a shot of fuel to start, but it wouldn't pump thereafter. At this point, the duty cycle reads "error" and I can't even get a 3 second start anymore.

I'll give Holley a call when they're open Monday. Thanks for your suggestion. If you have anything else you'd recommend trying, I'd be grateful. Thanks!

After the initial fuel pump prime time, the fuel pump won't run without a cranking RPM signal. Troubleshoot the distributor/CDI box (depending on the application).

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

You nailed it! I somehow broke the yellow wire going to my HEI. After repairing the connection and cycling the ignition, I no longer see "error" on the duty cycle and the car starts up! Thanks for your help.

You're welcome, I'm glad you found the problem.